UKC

NEWS: Matt and Dylan Heason Break Peak Classic Rock Round by Bike Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Oct 2022

Matt and Dylan Heason (13) have completed the Peak Classic Rock Round, travelling between the climbs by bike, in a time of 6 hours, 13 minutes and 13 seconds, beating the recent record by Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall.

Read more

In reply to UKC News: Great stuff!!! 

Amazing effort beating the WideBoyz‘ record!

deacondeacon 03 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant effort 🤘🤘

john arran 03 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

I like your style, Heasons. Wide Boyz, move over!

In reply to UKC News:

In the process of putting this article together, it transpired that Matt and Dylan's record has now been bested by Tom Newberry with a truly astounding time of 3:10:08.

deacondeacon 03 Oct 2022
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

3 hours 10 minutes? Holy sh*t!!!

Arms Cliff 03 Oct 2022

Did Tom take his Harley misunderstanding the ‘bike’ bit 😄

Post edited at 13:29
In reply to UKC News:

Since when have Modern and K2 been in Classic Rock? Adding anonymous routes like these to pad it out is bullshit, IMHO.

Be that as it may, kudos to Matt and Dylan for a great day out, and to Tom N for a time which could stand for a while.

jcm

FactorXXX 03 Oct 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Since when have Modern and K2 been in Classic Rock? Adding anonymous routes like these to pad it out is bullshit, IMHO.

Not sure of the reasons, but some routes were added in the 2007 edition:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=8
"The new 2007 edition added four outright routes in the chapter headings: these are Modern and K2 at Hen Cloud. Arrow Route at Sron na Ciche (a connective line accidentally unlisted in the original as it was always described) and Ivy Chimney as a 'continuation' of Milestone Direct (odd as it's atop pulpit route!)"

ChrisJD 04 Oct 2022

> bested by Tom Newberry with a truly astounding time of 3:10:08.

That's at least 35 miles of country Peak roads, with around 1000m of road ascent.

ianstevens 05 Oct 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

So 55ish km with 1000m? Leaves around 1:25 for the climbing and approaches. Great effort.

I guess one question here is where does the timer start? Bottom of the first route? If so a smart choice of start point could save 5 mins or so.

Post edited at 09:05
 ChrisJD 05 Oct 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

With that time laid down, it's now more of a cycling challenge than a climbing challenge.

i.e. if you can't ride a bike fast for 35 km (and have a 'fast' road bike to help matters), then you won't have a hope in beating that time, no matter how good/fast a climber you are.

(if beating the time is your thing, rather than doing the challenge)

Post edited at 11:37
 ianstevens 05 Oct 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

> With that time laid down, it's now more of a cycling challenge than a climbing challenge.

> i.e. if you can't ride a bike fast for 35 km (and have a 'fast' road bike to help matters), then you won't have a hope in beating that time, no matter how good/fast a climber you are.

> (if beating the time is your thing, rather than doing the challenge)

Ever since people started doing this link up that was my interpretation anyway - the climbing is merely an aside, given that for a decent time you basically have to solo everything, which means you are good enough to solo everything, and none of these routes will take you more than 5 mins.

ChrisJD 05 Oct 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Now its likely to get a sub-3 hour time, perhaps the Peak Classic Rock Round challenge should be running only between crags, no bikes. Make it a challenge again.

gethin_allen 06 Oct 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

Not really, cycling is only part of the challenge. I could do the riding and could but would take all day to do the climbing even if I drove between the locations. And having a "fast" road bike, not really, for the amount of climbing (cycling) you probably want to go light weight rather than aero and this would be more comfortable too. Also, you wouldn't have to spend loads to get a reasonable road bike for such a challenge, no need for a carbon Dura Ace superbike, and if you were looking for those marginal gains as Ineo put it you could hire a posh bike for the day.

ianstevens 06 Oct 2022
In reply to gethin_allen:

A "fast" bike can mean lightweight too! And to get geeky about bike physics, most of the climbs are either too short or not steep enough to really need a "climbing" bike. If I had an open check book I'd pick an aero road bike for this course. 

Chis - I actually think an 'unassisted' challenge would be great fun, and a really nice day of running...

gethin_allen 06 Oct 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> A "fast" bike can mean lightweight too! And to get geeky about bike physics, most of the climbs are either too short or not steep enough to really need a "climbing" bike. If I had an open check book I'd pick an aero road bike for this course. 

Well most moderately good bikes combine a bit of both these days but you wouldn't want or need to go for anything as serious as a TT bike (what I'd call a fast bike) IMO because the position would be hard to sustain and the gearing probably no good. Although saying this I was reading about Mark Beaumont's recent NC500 record where he rode for over 28 hours on a TT bike over crazy big hills, but he's a beast and did his round the world thing on what most people would consider practically a TT bike.

ianstevens 06 Oct 2022

Oh of course, I'm talking Ineops levels of marginal gain. I have two bikes, and one is for cycling round the city. Aka, I have one bike.

JLS 06 Oct 2022

I reckon the disparity in cycling fitness levels between any individuals keen on this record with mean it wont come down the precise quality of bike used i.e. so long as a half decent road is used it will come down to rider. The minute or so that could be saved from using a £5000 pound bike instead of a £1000 bike will be nothing in comparison to what's won or lost through fitness level variation and efficiency in transitions from actual rock climbing to cycling.

Steve5543 06 Oct 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Is there a fkt for this as a run yet?

ChrisJD 07 Oct 2022
In reply to Steve5543:

Don't know, but from the article it looks like MattH and MilesG will have one soon

Paddy_nolan 08 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

This is incredibly special! 
awesome awesome awesome - well done Dylan mate!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...