UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Nalle kills Mandala sds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nalle Hukkataival, 4 kbHot on the heels of Guillaume Glairon Mondet, Nalle Hukkataival has made a very quick repeat of Mandala sds, 8B/+, at thw Buttermilks, Bishop, needing only one day for the ascent.
Prior to going to Bishop, he had spent a few months back home in Finland for a change. The extensive plastic pulling...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60314
 zhwang 11 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

I need to get a sponsored cup like that.
 TobyA 11 Feb 2011
In reply to zhwang: My son has bouldered on the Spiderman wall behind Nalle, maybe he'll end up as strong!
 Chris the Tall 11 Feb 2011
"Kills" ?

Is this problem now dead ?

I'm guessing the problem was named after Nelson Mandela - which makes it inappropriate as well as annoying (and no, I don't like "Crushing" or "Sending" either!)
 Stuart S 11 Feb 2011

An impressive bit of climbing. Would be good to hear what he makes of Lucid Dreaming. That said, I'm still cringing at the use of Font grades for Bishop problems!
In reply to Tom Briggs - Jagged Globe:
OK, but I still don't like the term.

We climb things, we don't kill, crush or conquer them
 Bunchuk 11 Feb 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Mandala is a Sanskrit word that means circle. I'm pretty sure circles cannot be killed.
 nigel pearson 11 Feb 2011
In reply to zhwang:
I wonder who is sponsor is?

I too object to the word 'kill', at least rad, crush, send and waddage are just silly words, whereas kill has a very specific meaning in the real world, particularly in climbing when sadly people do loose their lives.
 andybenham 11 Feb 2011

> I'm guessing the problem was named after Nelson Mandela - which makes it inappropriate as well as annoying (and no, I don't like "Crushing" or "Sending" either!)

MandAla not MandEla. One is a sanskrit word meaning circle and usually meant in a spiritual sense. The other is a highly respected ex-leader of state from South Africa.

> "Kills" ?
Is Kill any worse than Crush?

Obviously non-English people all speak funny and we SHOULD "take the p*ss" out of their silly ways..especially on a Friday night shortly before heading off to the pub to get completely "battered" and "tw*tting" someone....
In reply to andybenham:
The Mandala/Mandela thing was pointed out ages ago by Tom Briggs, who then inexplicably deleted his post.

I've acknowledged my mistake on that, but it is why the headline jumped out at me

"Kills" is indeed worse than "Crush", for obvious reasons, but both are horribly triumphalist, which is why I compared it to "Conquest". I thought we were well past the days when we considered mountains, cliffs or even boulders to be conquered just because we'd sneaked our way up them.

And I'm not taking the p*ss out of someone's English, I'm objecting to journalism which is akin to a tabloid claiming someone has "Slaughtered Mount Snowdon" !
 Quiddity 11 Feb 2011

personally I don't particularly have a problem with 'crush' as despite being triumphalist, it is obviously ridiculous hyperbole about a feat of strength which is faintly ironic (at least to my ears) but yes I see why people find it irritating.

It is difficult to find anything ironic, or indeed appropriate, in references to 'killing' boulder problems and I think climbing is probably better off without 'kill' as a metaphor for success in our collective vocabulary.
 griffithsa 12 Feb 2011

Wow, its like an episode of Points Of View in here.
 jon 12 Feb 2011

I'm in complete agreement with you Chris, I deplore the use of kill, send, crush, über etc. There is nothing wrong with writing in English on a British website. Sadly it is trendy to write like this even though it just looks stupid.
Obviously, the word "kills" was never meant to be taken literally.
What I meant to say was "executes"

@ndyM@rsh@ll 12 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Haha.
banned profile 74 12 Feb 2011
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll: he killed it by crushing it,then sent it,via DHL or UPS
willriseley 12 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Good work man
 Smelly Fox 12 Feb 2011
> (In reply to andybenham)
> The Mandala/Mandela thing was pointed out ages ago by Tom Briggs, who then inexplicably deleted his post.
>
> I've acknowledged my mistake on that, but it is why the headline jumped out at me
>
> "Kills" is indeed worse than "Crush", for obvious reasons, but both are horribly triumphalist, which is why I compared it to "Conquest". I thought we were well past the days when we considered mountains, cliffs or even boulders to be conquered just because we'd sneaked our way up them.
>
> And I'm not taking the p*ss out of someone's English, I'm objecting to journalism which is akin to a tabloid claiming someone has "Slaughtered Mount Snowdon" !

Even my girlfriend was pissing herself when she read that! Quality!

I decimate problems! I usually only get up one in ten I try
 mrjonathanr 12 Feb 2011
In reply to Smelly Fox:
Quite. If you think you can kill an inanimate object, and want to describe climbing boulder problems that way, you probably drive some sort of penis extension and wear a medallion. Or would like to. Either way it's a poor show.
 krank 13 Feb 2011
please, please, please go back to your blog Bjorn, it was one of the best climbing blogs on the net, it is sadly missed.
 Smelly Fox 13 Feb 2011
In reply to mrjonathanr:
Hmmm. I think you may have misinterpreted why she was laughing....

(I can't wait to stop being broken so I can climb again. I'm getting sucked in too much the past few days!!!)

Sorry for the hijack Bjorn. Keep up the good work! Always inspired by hearing about folk cranking hard and all that. Let the haters hate and the climbers climb!
 IainAM 13 Feb 2011
In reply to krank:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
> please, please, please go back to your blog Bjorn, it was one of the best climbing blogs on the net, it is sadly missed.

Yes, please
 scooott 13 Feb 2011
In reply to mrjonathanr:
> (In reply to Smelly Fox)
> Quite. If you think you can kill an inanimate object, and want to describe climbing boulder problems that way, you probably drive some sort of penis extension and wear a medallion. Or would like to. Either way it's a poor show.

Some things aren't meant in a literal sense; this is one of them occassions.

Nalle didn't actually *kill* Mandala sds, he climbed it in presumably impression fashion. Just thought I'd clear that up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...