UKC

NEWS: New BMC Website Up and Running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 Jun 2007
All the hard work has paid off. For the last few months the BMC have been developing a new state of the art and easier to use website and it looks like they have achieved just that. Designed by an outside web design business it then took several months to get all the content transferred across. The ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Simon 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

There be a few glitches still to iron out - and links to be added it seems - but its very good - and user friendly.

The Peak Area has turned into yorkshire on the RAD though!!

;0)

Si
 alex 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Simon:

The RAD map got squashed somehow.

What glitches / links?
 Simon 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

The Rad map has Yorkshire as the north east and the north east as Scotland.

The summit links didn't work and there were a few more things last night - I'll keep searching and mail you direct Alex

Cheers

Si
 BelleVedere 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

This might be me but the RSS feed gave me over 900 items when i signed up. Don't they normally limit the number to the lastest 20 (ish)
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

My2P

1. Layout is very squashed together and there is a lot of wasted space on the right hand side. Seems to assume that people are using 15 inch screens.

2. Looks well organised and is fast.
 BrianT 12 Jun 2007
Well, I clicked the link, but it looks very much like UKC. You should sue!
 alex 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2:

Yeah. The old fixed-width issue. After much debate right now it's fixed width. Doesn't mean it will stay what way, its flexible.

Will fix rss.

Keep those errors coming!

Cheers

Alex
 Simon 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

The guy in the turquoise E9 T- shirt - on the bolted slate on the opening page - photo is flipped.

si
 alex 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Simon:

hah. oh well. press F5 and it'll disappear.
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

The shop http://thebmc.co.uk/Pages.aspx?page=49

Click on some of the links and it takes you to the middle or bottom of the page. You then have to scroll up.

This is with IE6.
 Henry L Buckle 12 Jun 2007
I can't get the RAD to work. Please mend it soon, I need it.
 deadlock 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

Looks good Alex - though can I add another vote to getting Fixed Width scrapped?

Oh and the link to the Guidebooks blog from "In the Pipeline" is borked...
 Katie Weston 12 Jun 2007
In reply to deadlock:
Agree with scrapping fixed width, on my wide screen macbook nearly half my screen is wasted. Thats really un-aesthetically pleasing.
 alex 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Katie Weston:

Sorry all. You're stuck with fixed width for a while. But we'll get a sample made up and see how the powers-that-be take to it.

RAD will be fixed any second now.

Guidebooks blog & moorland grit blog links fixed - cheers. ALthough you may want to email niall and say "please start your blog Niall"

Cheers
 tom r 12 Jun 2007
Looks really nice. The breadcrumb trail seems to only show the top half of the text using IE6
 Tony Little 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex: I just tried to get to the site using the link and got the following error:-

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).

>>>Are you busy changing something at the moment? btw using XP and I've never had another website bring up that error.
Tony
 alex 12 Jun 2007
In reply to tom r:

Cheers, ie6 is proving tedious. We'll fix that.
 alex 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Tony Little:

Cheers. The certificates are a bit odd right now (that's odd-safe, not odd-unsafe).

it's the domain name propogation. Try using www. in front of thebmc.co.uk.

(I can't type it here, because UKC can't find the address yet and thinks it's an invalid link)

Cheers
 Katie Weston 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Tony Little:
I get the same message. Clicked yes and it took me to the site, but definitely something that needs fixing.
 alex 12 Jun 2007

We're not planning on leaving it like that...

Do you get the same message with www (dot) thebmc.co.uk?

(i.e. the normal web address)

Cheers

Alex.
 Tony Little 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex: yeah, worked fine typing it in rather than using the link. Looks good
 Katie Weston 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:
Yep that gets rid of the security message, though it still looks dreadful
 alex 12 Jun 2007

Don't worry. We have widescreen plans...
 Bob 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

IE - the bane of any website developer

As for fixed width - well the BBC site is fixed width (same width as the BMC site) and is reckoned to be one of the best around. However I agree that flexible width is ultimately nicer on the eye.

boB
freed 12 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:
> (In reply to tom r)
>
> Cheers, ie6 is proving tedious. We'll fix that.

'Is proving'? You make that sound in the present tense, Alex!

(Gordon on Freed's computer)
SteveO 13 Jun 2007
It's crap.

It's left aligned (old school), fixed width (even older school) and width is 800px (ancient school).... and why is it on a secure page ???

I've perused it a couple of times now and it's already looking dated to me.

One good thing, it looks to be all CSS - which, to be honest is farcical given the fact that's it's left-aligned, 800px fixed width; why bother???

They've paid prolly a lot of money, got a competent, workman-like job from a team that prolly wear shirts and ties to the office.

SteveO 13 Jun 2007
Oh and the images used for the logo's need sharpening up, the text is blurred.
SteveO 13 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

> Don't worry. We have widescreen plans...

If the site is CSS-based what's the need for "widescreen plans"???? It's a fundamental function of CSS to allow floating width's and has been for year and years. (simplistic overview I know, sorry It's harder to do, of course but not that much harder.

As for the "IE6 is proving to be a pain"; IE6 is a pain, it always has been, it always will -but- all of it's "idiosyncrasies" are very, very well known and have been for a long, long time.

I might sound hyper-critical but, to be honest, it such a disappointment and that's what's prompting me to post. Pointless singing the praises of something that's only as good as a school project.
 alex 13 Jun 2007
In reply to SteveO:

I'm not entirely sure what the dress code of the designers had to do with it, that sounds like a personal bugbear. If you'd like to find out what they're wearing today, give them a shout at http://www.evolutiadesign.co.uk/

But in response to your other points:

- It's left aligned (old school.
Well, that's easy to fix and a point of view.

- It's fixed width (even older school)
Again, that's easy to fix and a point of view.

You sound like you know what you're on about, so you know that sites don't just turn up in a box. It's a process involving many people commenting (staff, volunteers, CEOs with small monitors). And at an early stage the decision was made to go with a fixed width site. Since the designers thought that was best - and they're the professionals in that field, not us. But it's very modular, so i think will go to full width (my personal preference) very easily. As you say, it's all CSS, and content is now fully separated from design.

- Oh and the images used for the logo's need sharpening up, the text is blurred.
That's odd. Maybe because they're pngs. Might be because they're white. Will look into it.

"IE6 is proving to be a pain"
- Simply because when something was changed, a niggle usually appeared with ie. Which was fixed. Hence, a pain.

-I might sound hyper-critical but, to be honest, it such a disappointment and that's what's prompting me to post.
- No problem. If you can think of any more suggestions, let me know - alex@thebmc.co.uk

To be honest, looking good was only a small part of the job. The main work was getting the news and features working together, and training all staff and volunteers up to update news, features, photos, and video wherever they are. So the days of out-of-date info etc are hopefully over.

And now that's ticking over we can get on with the good stuff (members login, expedition reports online, new online shop etc etc.

Oh, and that ssl wierdness, that will be sorted.

SteveO 14 Jun 2007
In reply to alex:

> I'm not entirely sure what the dress code of the designers had to do with it, that sounds like a personal bugbear.

No, it was a joke, not a very good one but it was a joke

As I said before my "criticisms" were from [huge] disappointment, not that I was particularly wanting to pop off at anyone. If the new web site is the face of the BMC's online presence for the next several years I was expecting something, well, better than this and on so many levels. Especially since they would have paid for it

For the site to be CSS-based is an excellent move. But to then see the CSS effectively "chained to the desk" and used to present a site that comes across as it does (to me) was almost soul-destroying (almost

If CSS is fully unleashed, as it were, the fixed width/variable width, left align/centre align issues are a thing of the past because users can select their own preference (from the front page on the web site). In exactly the same way that the font size can be changes from the front page.

BTW, on this last point you might ask the designers to change the size of the icon (A+ A- icons, top right) for the text re-size. If anyone is going to want to re-size the text you can pretty much guarantee that they want to increase the text size and these wee icons are likely to be missed by just such site visitors It's prolly a good idea to suggest they also implement maybe two extra increments in text size from the "normal", giving [at least] three in total.

Cheers,

alex 14 Jun 2007
In reply to SteveO:

So, what other things would you want to see on the site? As I've already said, it's early days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...