UKC

NEWS: New Font 8A+ on Yorkshire Grit by Tom Peckitt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Jul 2011
Tom Peckitt - Toe-Fu - 8A+ at Simon's Seat, 4 kbTom Peckitt has added another hard problem to Yorkshire Gritstone with an ascent of Toe-Fu at Simon's Seat.

Walking up to the crag in summer heat yesterday, Tom wasn't full of hope for succeeding on the problem...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=63158

In reply to UKC News: What is meant by morpho? as in ... (probably around 8a+ but definitely morpho)....?

Never heard it before.
 HeMa 20 Jul 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson:
> (In reply to UKC News) What is meant by morpho?

Reach dependent... Pretty much in this case, unless you can reach the hold without cutting loose, it will be much harder.
In reply to HeMa: Ah right, thanks for that. Live and learn.......
In reply to James Paul Robinson: It means problem is very height specific and consequently could feel much harder.

Generally used when problems are "lanky" but can also apply if a problem is very bunched and therefore easier for the short.
In reply to Fultonius: is it a shortened version of another word?
 lowersharpnose 20 Jul 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson:

morphology : The size, shape, and structure of an organism or one of its parts....
In reply to lowersharpnose: Thanks, exactly the info i was looking for.
 jacobjlloyd 20 Jul 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson: morphological
yoko 20 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News: Solid, good effort Tom. Morpho or not still hard and very unique moves! Keep it up!
 Tom Peckitt 21 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Ah yes, I should probably have explained the morpho comment in more detail; thanks for picking that up.
To be honest I dislike the term morpho and rarley use it. All problems feel differnt for each individual so you may apply the "morpho" term to all/most climbing. A person's morphology tends to determine their strenghts and weaknesses.
I decided to use that terminolgy for this problem as the difficulty lies in reaching the holds and toe hook.
To see a bit more info about that day (like the vid of an army helicopter hovering in very close proximity to us) and a sequence of shots showing the moves have a look at the Beyond Hope Blog:
http://climbersblogs.blogspot.com/
In reply to Tom Peckitt: I didn't mean to take anything away from an amazing ascent. I had honestly never heard the term before and wondered what it meant.

Solid effort on some amazing moves.

Jamie.
 Tom Peckitt 21 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Oh no,not at all. No need to apologise. I completely understand why you asked and I'm glad someone answered you before I did.
I just thought I'd expalin a little. Thanks for your positive comment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...