UKC

New Maps on UKC Logbooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Paul has been working hard and implemented a new map system for the Logbooks.

Stanage North

The new maps have the double benefit of looking much better than the old Google ones and being significantly cheaper, well free actually, but we still have some Google maps on other parts of the site.

You may need to force refresh your page to see the changes.

Alan

mary 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Nice Alan.

Mike-W-99 08 Oct 2018

I moved a site I look after to leaflet and open street map too. Leaflet is a really nice api to work with.

However I was under the impression it was a fair use policy. Do you have your own map server?

stp 08 Oct 2018

Great. Open Source stuff is definitely preferable to corporate crap imo. You can of course change the map overlays too should a more appropriate design be deemed preferable at some future time.

Open Street Map maps are also great for mobile devices since you can download them and the OSM-And app for free then use them for navigation without the need for an internet connection. They also provide great entertainment when flying somewhere. You can see where you are, how fast you're going and your altitude. Though I find you can only get the GPS signal if you're sat next to a window and hold your device close to it.

GarethSL 08 Oct 2018

Love it!

Edit, also loving the "Open Parking" feature? Is that also new as I've not noticed it before! 

The new map style is wonderful but, is there no opportunity to have a satellite image layer any more? That was quite a useful feature.

Post edited at 19:50
 apwebber 08 Oct 2018

Big fan of open street map. They're just a little behind OS mapping in readability but they make up for it in being updated much more regularly.

rlrs 08 Oct 2018

The new map looks good. But from the "Update this Crag" or "Update Crag Details" button the google map still comes up...will this be changed to use the new map too?

Rog Wilko 09 Oct 2018
In reply to GarethSL

> The new map style is wonderful but, is there no opportunity to have a satellite image layer any more? That was quite a useful feature.

Agree with this. Very useful if you're trying to place the location pin for a crag accurately. Or trying to find a crag where the pin is badly placed.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think we will keep the update crag/buttress pages using Google maps or switch that to Leaflet with the option of the Google satellite layer to be honest.

Post edited at 10:04
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Hi Mike, agreed, Leaflet is great!

We were on the free tier for Google maps before the changes they made to their pricing this year so I wouldn't consider us particularly heavy users. I will look into setting up our own map server though.

ChrisJD 09 Oct 2018

OSM mapping is awesome.  Great for outside of UK on a phone app.

ChrisJD 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Might be worth disabling the 'Boundary' layer, they clutter the map and I find them easily confused with paths/tracks.

Can you add the contour layer (cheaply)? 

I also tend to use the 'cycling' map view (there are other viewing schemes available as well).

Toerag 09 Oct 2018

Satellite layer is essential as many 'climber paths' aren't shown on proper maps.

In reply to ChrisJD:

I've added another choice of layer. Again, might need to force refresh a crag page to see the change.

ChrisJD 09 Oct 2018

That is awesome with contours !

TobyA 09 Oct 2018

Can't see a layers option on my phone. Have refreshed the page lots of times... Am I doing something wrong?

rlrs 09 Oct 2018

> I think we will keep the update crag/buttress pages using Google maps or switch that to Leaflet with the option of the Google satellite layer to be honest.

Hi Paul, I think you were replying to me there...that's fine like that for me!

gravy 09 Oct 2018
In reply to rlrs:

V nice - suggestions: allow zooming in a bit more and add a length scale...

In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby, it's not easy to force refresh on mobiles. The crag page sends the last modified time of the crag so it won't refresh properly if nothing's changed in the data. This works fine for standard climb/crag detail changes but falls down a bit when we add new features.

If you edit the URL and add another variable on the end it should download a fresh copy, something like:

/logbook/crag.php?id=99&refresh

In reply to gravy:

Done and done. I'll need to monitor how many maps tiles we're using with that max zoom level. Might need to dial it back 1 level.

You will need to force refresh a crag page if it's in your browser cache. That's:

Crtl+F5 on Windows
Cmd+Shift+R on Mac Chrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...