New name for Digital Features?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

After a re-design of our Digital Features, we think it may be time to update the name of them.

Although the obvious new name may be Features, we already have these, so ideally want something unique.

Therefore, feel free to add any serious suggestions to the poll, and vote on any you like 

Latest Digital Feature for reference:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/digital_features/marmot_photography_awards_2020-13376

What Should Digital Features be called

Digital Features
In Focus
Ultimate Exposure
Large Format
Big Thing
Long Exposure
Wide Screen
Bigly Stuff
Vertical Story
Vertical Feature
Featurey McFeatureface
Image Intensive
The Bigger Picture
UKC Magazine
Photo Feature
Rock Facts
The Long Read
Points Mode Focus
Dihedral
Alpenstock
Article
The Nick Brown Show featuring guests
The Sunday Stroll (or other synonyms - ramble, saunter, bimble ...)
On Sight
Frigid Ale Statue
Readers Lives
Cryptographic
Login to vote
 alexm198 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Why do they need to be called anything? As far as I can tell, they're taxonomically not Features, so it can't be to distinguish them as a special (digital) type of Feature. And they are immediately subdivided into Photo Awards, Finest Crags and so forth. What does the label 'Digital Feature' actually denote?

I expect (from painful experience) the answer to this is purely CMS-based, so I appreciate that even if the name doesn't serve any higher purpose, the field still has to be filled. Each current example of a digital feature seems to form part of a wider series of digital features on a topic. Maybe just "Series"?

From a user perspective, if it's not actually doing something I would prefer it not to be called something flashy like "Ultimate Exposure", but disagreeing with how you taxonomise your content isn't exactly going to stop me coming to UKC.  

remus 19 Feb 2021

I quite like 'Large Format'. It makes me think of the sort of in-depth journalistic pieces you might see on a news website which seem broadly similar to the type of content that gets presented in digital features.

If the main difference is that they are scrollable, can I just say that it is a big and welcome improvement. 

For me, none of the suggested names, including the current one, give me any clue about what they are meant to be for or what distinguishes them from other articles on the site.

Marek 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> If the main difference is that they are scrollable, can I just say that it is a big and welcome improvement. 

I'd go further and suggest you get rid of the silly little 'incremental scroll' as new content is exposed at the bottom of the page - it's pointless and distracting, a modern version  of the blink attribute. Unless of course  the point of the article is just to demonstrate someone's web-coding skillz. Good web design is about clarity of content presentation and nothing else. Or to slightly misquote Antoine de Saint Exupery: "Perfection is attained not when there is not more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away". Or perhaps Albert Einstein: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler".

And as for the name - as you've probably noticed 'digital this and that' is so 2020, but now it seems the new moniker for today is 'smart' - even when it really, really stupid (see 'smart motorways). So if you are into M2 (Meaningless Marketing) then it's got to be 'Smart Something'.

Post edited at 08:18
In reply to Marek:

> And as for the name - as you've probably noticed 'digital this and that' is so 2020, but now it seems the new moniker for today is 'smart' - even when it really, really stupid (see 'smart motorways). So if you are into M2 (Meaningless Marketing) then it's got to be 'Smart Something'.

Smartly Smart Smarts? 

Mal Grey 20 Feb 2021

As above, I'm not really clear on what defines them compared with other articles, so maybe explain that first? Is it just about the look? Amount of images? Or is there a content theme that I haven't picked up on?

At the moment, my tendency would be to just lump them all together with others under Features or Articles with sub-headings for content categories.

In reply to Mal Grey:

> As above, I'm not really clear on what defines them compared with other articles, so maybe explain that first? Is it just about the look? Amount of images? Or is there a content theme that I haven't picked up on?

Apart from the weird "bouncy" thing (I presume marek was referring to this), the only difference I can now see is that the articles go the full width of my laptop screen rather than just a band in the middle (This is why I added the option "wide screen" which seems entirely appropriate to me). This is good for photos.

Garethza 20 Feb 2021

I see the british public is sticking to its recurring theme of choosing the most ridiculous one -  merely because it is an option 'Featurey McfeatureFace' ! lol

I like Digital features. I already know what it means because I've clicked on lots of them before. I think it sums up what it is well as your digital features are a broad church. 

I really like them. 

tehmarks 20 Feb 2021

In recognition that most successful brands in the modern world are snappy single words, usually heavily Americanised and completely abstract, and considering UKC's need to appeal to a younger and modern audience, may I suggest...Dihedral?

In reply to tehmarks:

Rappel?

Send?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator  UKC Supporter 21 Feb 2021

Despite the the votes I doubt the current leader will be the final choice!

Chris

rlrs 22:31 Thu

Only one suggestion per user allowed it seems.

How about:

"U Die at Frig Tales"

In reply to Marek:

> I'd go further and suggest you get rid of the silly little 'incremental scroll' as new content is exposed at the bottom of the page

You can turn this off in your operating system.

• Windows 10: In the main search type "animation" and turn this off.
  • Android: In Settings, search for "animation".
  • iOS: In Settings, search for "reduce motion". probably something similar in MacOS

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...