UKC

New Routing on Kalymnos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 Feb 2011
Sector St George Topo, 4 kbChris Craggs and friends develop a new crag on the limestone paradise island of Kalymnos.

"We beavered away and in six days of effort we placed about 80 bolts and produced 10 climbs. I am not sure you would call the experience enjoyable, and it is nothing like climbing either, but there was a certain satisfaction in a job done..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3504

Enty 24 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good work but I think you need name painting lessons from the French boys at St Leger:
http://escasaintleger.canalblog.com/albums/nom_de_voies/index.html

E
 Mick Ward 24 Feb 2011

Hey Chris,

Good effort!

'lugging the drill, crowbar, hammer, spanner, bolts, secateurs, slings and quick-draws and the spare rope, all of which conspired to snag and catch on every sharp projection and shrub...'

How well I know this feeling. It's an odd experience, isn't it, as you say, far removed from normal climbing. But surprisingly creative and oddly addictive.

It sounds like you'll be back for more. Hope so.

Mick
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty:

Yes, I have seen the neat work that some of the French climbers have done with the route names. We considered trying it but didn't have any of the materials (small brushes, oil/enamel paint, varnish) or much in the way of artistic talent so we went with the 'slap it on' approach!

Chris
 R8JimBob88 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Good work Chris, I look forward to clipping some of these bolts in the near future.
 woollardjt 24 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Hope the hard work pays off and people enjoy the routes.

Now i'm waiting for the normal UKC folks to start ranting about destroying the rock by putting bolts etc up. Forget that its not in the UK so they won't mind

Is it going to be any good for drytooling..........
 carl dawson 24 Feb 2011
Good effort, Chris, Colin, Sheree.
The 'new' guidebook is now well out-of-date!
Where, exactly, is your new crag? We're going for a walk tomorrow so may try and find it.
Keep up the good work.
Carl and Ruth
In reply to carl dawson:

Drive from Pothia to Vlchadia, past St Savas church and you can see it over on the left just before the high point of the road.

Don't expect too much!!!!

Chris

I have a single page PDF topo of the crag for anyone who is interested btw.

Chris
 Quarryboy 24 Feb 2011

Can you post the link please.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Feb 2011
In reply to Quarryboy:
>
>
> Can you post the link please.

E-mail me and I will send it on, hope that's OK,

Chris
 carl dawson 25 Feb 2011

Hi Chris,

Went to look at your new crag today. It may be only small but it certainly has fabulous views out over to Kos, Turkey, Nisyros, etc. A very pleasant spot which will make a change from the busy Masouri crags.
Good effort.

Carl and Ruth
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Feb 2011
In reply to carl dawson:

Cheers, as the article suggests it was surprisingly hard work, but very satisfying too - at least after the event.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...