UKC

NEWS: New Wild Land Map First of its Kind

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Apr 2013
Wild land - officially mapped for the first time. So now what?, 3 kbA new map showing the main areas of wild land in Scotland has been published today by Scottish Natural Heritage, the first time this has been done in the UK. This should be an aid to future planning decisions.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68024
 Lankyman 30 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC News: What is worrying is what is not included. I only hope that the energy companies don't use this map as a cue to further degrade the areas NOT marked out. I cannot believe that places like Mull and Ardnamurchan do not have any 'wild land'. This could be a double edged sword.
BTW, Dan, is your picture Loch nan Eun? Once spent a very cold and sleepless night on frozen ground there!
 Mike Pescod 01 May 2013
In reply to UKC News: Planners need to remember that wind farms and power lines affect the appreciation of wild land not only when they are placed in wild land but also when they are visible from wild land areas. Seeing wind turbines from the Cairngorms or Crag Meagaidh has just as much impact on the experience as if the turbines were within these areas.

We need to have buffer zones round the edges of these wild land areas and the buffer zones need to be very big.

Mike
 Martin W 01 May 2013
In reply to Karl Lunt: I tend to agree. What is this map supposed to achieve? If it ends up being treated as the definitive list of no-go areas for wind turbines or whatever other kind of infrastructure people might decide they want to build (eg luxury golf resorts???) then that seems to leave an awful lot of the rest of the country "up for grabs". I fear there is a risk that this initiative could backfire on its promoters.

Mind you, given the minimal amount of notice that's been taken of it on here so far, maybe it'll just get ignored. It probably doesn't help that the map as published is almost unreadable - the underlying map of Scotland is so faint as to be barely there.

Although it's difficult to tell from the dreadful map, it seems that the list only covers upland areas, no coastal landscapes. I reckon certain beaches on the west coast can feel just as much like wilderness as some of the hills.

Overall: a poor effort IMO, with questionable benefits (if any). Then again, from the rationale on the SNH web site the idea does seem to have originated in a government department so perhaps not surprising that it's a bit of a turkey. Unfortunately, again based on what the SNH web site says, it does look like they intend to use it as the basis for policy and future legislation
jjmacewan 01 May 2013
In reply to Martin W:

I wondered about the omission and designation of some wild land as well!

I'm sure it will have a bearing on policy and future legislation.

There is a chance to make your views known about future planning and development issues through a new 'consultation'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22349793

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/planning/NPF3-SPP-Revie...

Here's another map which you may find of interest:

http://www.environment.scotland.gov.uk/map.aspx
 NottsRich 01 May 2013
In reply to UKC News: These maps have been around in this format for a while now. Whether or not they have had an impact on development, I haven't a clue. The only thing I know is that there seem to be new wind turbines popping up all over the place and it's quite upsetting.
Removed User 01 May 2013
In reply to NottsRich:
> (In reply to UKC News) These maps have been around in this format for a while now. Whether or not they have had an impact on development, I haven't a clue. The only thing I know is that there seem to be new wind turbines popping up all over the place and it's quite upsetting.

Well there's a huge wind farm going ahead in area 42, the Parc on Harris and isn't the Monalaidth also covered by one of these areas?

I also note that nothing on Lewis is designated as wild land.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...