UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Nicotine by Bobt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 17 Jan 2006
Bobt describes a moment in time on a winter route.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=168
 Glyn Jones 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Very good - especially for those of us trying to give up!

<<jealous as hell>>
 Jimmy D 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com:

Good to see. Smoking on a stance is one of the best things in life (sure will miss it when I give up) and there should be more literature celebrating it. Just a real shame about the down sides
 Marc C 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Jimmy D: Can't agree with you. It's a filthy disgusting habit for weak-willed death-seeking morons But getting a good roaring campfire going on a large stance is the Real Deal! I often take firelighters , sticks and just a small sack of coal on mountain routes. Nothing boosts the morale of an anxious second twhen s/he arrives at the stance to see you've got a nice fire going!

PS But always take care to keep your ropes away from the fire. I won't make that mistake again in a hurry!
 Glyn Jones 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Jimmy D) Can't agree with you. It's a filthy disgusting habit for weak-willed death-seeking morons

Are you talking about smoking or climbing? Inquiring minds would like to know!

lol!

Phil Anderson 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Jimmy D) Can't agree with you. It's a filthy disgusting habit for weak-willed death-seeking morons

Come off the fence Mark. What do you really think?
 Marc C 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones: Winter climbing maybe

I'm addicted to Harvest Crunch brekkie cereal - I'm up to 3 bowls a day, so guess that makes me an addict too
 Tobias at Home 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: "He flicked the butt away from him "

nice to see respect for the environment...
 Marc C 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Tobias at Home: Not necessarily. Maybe he's writing as part of a gay climbing partnership?
 Norrie Muir 17 Jan 2006

Dear Mick

I shall have to have a word with Bobt’s friend Jim, to ask him where he gets a 16 ozs tin of Golden Virginia, I can only get 2 ozs tins. I wonder if Jim can roll his fag with his thin gloves on, like I sometimes do.

Norrie

It's a nice wee article, right enough.
But, you still haven't sorted Horse's article. It is not called the 'Buckle'.

Davie
OP Michael Ryan 17 Jan 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

Done Davie

Buachaille
 Horse 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Dear Norrie

Can you roll one handed? I have never managed to master that trick.

Horse

Cheers Mick!

Davie
 Norrie Muir 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
Can you roll one handed? I have never managed to master

Dear Horse

Sort of, but they are useless, they turn out like they were rolled by a non smoker.

Norrie

SonyaD 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: I can do a roly with my thin gloves on but you get baccy all stuck to the gloves. And I can roll one when driving. I usually pre roll a whole load before going on the hill tho.
 mark1984 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Horse:

does that make you a one trick pony
 Horse 17 Jan 2006
In reply to mark1984:

If I could do it then surely it would make me a two trick pony!
 Alan Stark 17 Jan 2006

I might even be persuaded to temporarily return to the weed on occasions if I thought that tobacco smoke would keep the heilan' midge at bay, but even a well stoked pipe has proved of little use in the past.

It's an evil filthy habit!
 The Mole 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Nice article, but i have to wonder why anyone would take a pound (1 lb) of tabacco with them anywhere let alone up a route? You'd feel very hacked off if u dropped the whole tin!
 gingerdave13 20 Jan 2006

I must admit that I seem to remember having a similar moment with 2 of my mates, we'd just done the first pitch of a climb at tremadog I think, and we stood on what can only be described as a 'foot space only' belay stance, if that! With the sun on our backs we then proceeded to yank out the backy, (12.5g of it if memory serves me, tho god knows why you'd have 16oz) rizla and proceeded to skin up, upon completion we found the single lighter between us and passed it around then looked at the guide and discussed the next pitch. At the time it felt very civilised and a bit old school. Before my mate then lead the next pitch, ahh good times.

I hasten to add that we stubbed out the butts and put them into our pockets - but then that's the difference between some peeps,,
graybags 20 Jan 2006
In reply to gingerdave13:
do you not recall in 'The White Spider'? there's Harrer and his three chums facing a night out on the N face of the Eiger with ice cold water running down his neck and out his trouser leg and all he's thinking about is passing round the fags
 scott sadler 21 Jan 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones:

I've just given up but will still smoke if i'm on a big trip or big serious route.

You could get killed while climbing!
Iain Ridgway 22 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Do you think an article like that is responsible?

I know its just an article, but it does glamorise smoking, kids read these forums, lets not forget smoking kills hundreds, thousands if not millions a year through horrible long drawn ot deaths.

Sorry to be boring but think both sides should be given here, why not get an old climber, now riddled with illness, bed ridden, no longer able to get out in the hills, and explain the quality of his life now.

No doubt a few will take offence at my wee rant, but I am fairly anti-smoking.
 darren-surrey 22 Jan 2006
In reply to Iain Ridgway:

I was thinking the same. I kinda got the impression from the article that smoking is cool.
 astrecks 22 Jan 2006
> (In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com) Do you think an article like that is responsible?
>
> I know its just an article, but it does glamorise smoking, kids read these forums,

I feel the same about posts that glamourise "getting bladdered", a past time that can cause an equal if not more damage than smoking...so let's have a sense of proportion as there are more posts glamourising alcohol than tobacco on this forum.

Jeff
 EarlyBird 22 Jan 2006
In reply to astrecks:

Hear!Hear!
Iain Ridgway 22 Jan 2006
In reply to astrecks: Have we ever had an article specifically on how cool it is to get bladdered?

And to be honest I disagree, most posts on here about getting bladdered are "how to get rid of this hangover" etc etc. Obvously stating thenegative effect of drinking.
 astrecks 22 Jan 2006
> (In reply to astrecks) Have we ever had an article specifically on how cool it is to get bladdered?

No, but I'm sure someone out there could write one to redress the balance.

Jeff

hutchm 23 Jan 2006

Cobblers. Considering most of climbing literature glamourises an activity that is somewhat dangerous.

Most literature would be fairly anodyne if it had to pass the 'responsibility' test prior to publication!
Iain Ridgway 23 Jan 2006
In reply to hutchm: Rubbish, you can climb for years and have no health concerns, smoking WILL kill you, climbing MAY, two very different things.
 hutchm 24 Jan 2006

Actually, smoking may kill you. Plenty of folk smoke like chimneys their entire lives without fatal consequences.

It increases your risk of various lethal illnesses, but does not guarantee them.
Iain Ridgway 24 Jan 2006
In reply to hutchm: OK, there are a few who won't die, but very very few will not suffer negative chronic illnesses.
 hutchm 24 Jan 2006

Many things in life, climbing included, are a balance of risk and enjoyment. Nicotine and adrenaline are both 'reward' chemicals.

Having said that, more miffed about the throwing away of the fag end than anything else - sets such a bad example for the kids!
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jan 2006
Don't overdo it, smoking is dangerous to your health and unpleasant for others, but it doesn't have the guarantees of illness and death that you're making out.
 hutchm 24 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Basically you roll the dice - one in two smokers will die prematurely. Chances are that death would be highly unpleasant, however.
Still not enough to demand that we censor out any reference to the pleasureable nature of smoking from any written material.
 simes303 25 Jan 2006
I think we should censor all written articles, and ban all activities, just to be on the safe side.
 Fume Troll 26 Jan 2006

Interesting. I think you'd have to be a smoker to really appreciate this article though, and I'm not. Lots of smokers are into the whole routine as much as the smoking, and would be my only criticism of this article (as a piece of prose, ignoring any ethical issues), that it sounds a bit to much like a procedure, and it's too easy to imagine the author sitting by his desk going through the process and making notes.

Cheers,

FT.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...