UKC

NEWS: Nuthin' but sunshine, 8B, FFA by Shauna Coxsey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Jun 2013
Shauna Coxsey and Colorado slopers, 4 kbBy repeating David Graham's 2000-test piece Nuthin' but sunshine at the Lower chaos of the Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, Shauna Coxsey has become one of very few women to have climbed font 8B.
Shauna was there with Alex Puccio and Angela Payne, so the race for who could make the first female...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68164
 The Pylon King 27 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

i'm a sucker for nail varnish.
 Michael Gordon 27 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I think you'll have to come up with different initials - FFA universally means first free ascent.
 Reach>Talent 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon:
Glad I wasn't the only one to read the title and think "why the heck had someone aided a boulder problem?".

woody0606 27 Jun 2013
In reply to The Pylon King: I'm a sucker for the Coxsey.

And yes, I was a little confused at first. Perhaps FFeA would avoid ambiguity?
 Jiduvah 28 Jun 2013
In reply to woody0606:
> (In reply to The Pylon King) I'm a sucker for the Coxsey.
>
> And yes, I was a little confused at first. Perhaps FFeA would avoid ambiguity?

It might avoid ambiguity but I doubt it would help with understanding.
 Wft 28 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Shauna!
 geordiepie 28 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Typical bloody UKC. A British climber makes a world class repeat and most posts are about the acronym used.

Fantastic achievement...bring on 8B+
 Ben Farley 28 Jun 2013
In reply to geordiepie: exactly. A truly world class performance but people are hung up on an acronym. Shauna is one of the best athletes the uk has produced, I sometimes wonder whether many people on here actually realise the significance of her ascents. News of her results and ascents seem to barely register on here. Maybe she needs to do more trad climbing and stop messing around on these tiny pebbles.
 Quiddity 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Ben Farley:

I wouldn't interpret lack of posting as a lack of interest. We were talking about this at the wall last night and I think it's amazing but rarely post on news threads unless I have something I want to add.
 Lukem6 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Ben Farley:
> (In reply to geordiepie) News of her results and ascents seem to barely register on here.

That's probably because "as she told my wife" she doesn't get out often. That's probably due to being an indoor wall athlete. Its great she's getting some good routes in when she can between training etc.

As for the FFA thing, I've never considered a boulder route a First Free ascent as there isn't an alternative and even then this would be a Free solo. So lets just stick with that smaller word "sent". Bouldering... a handful of moves on a small rock compared to the stuff our other great UK Trad girl does, Ms Hazel Findlay.

edinburgh_man 28 Jun 2013
In reply to lm610:

Have you been at the crack pipe again?

ps FFA = First Female Ascent (unless you think Dave Graham aided it).
 simes303 28 Jun 2013
In reply to geordiepie:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Typical bloody UKC. A British climber makes a world class repeat and most posts are about the acronym used.
>
> Fantastic achievement...bring on 8B+

I have to say I too wondered who had aided it, and why.
 Lukem6 28 Jun 2013
In reply to 7bforever: precisely, plus A girl said she hates getting recognition just for following a man up a route.

Wheres more First Free Ascents: Louis Lane 2001
 edinburgh_man 28 Jun 2013
In reply to lm610:

Put down the pipe.
 andrea83 28 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant, well done Shauna. Inspiring stuff!
 Andy Farnell 29 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: The comments on this thread show why ukc is so derided by many who actually know about hard climbing. Anyway, stunning effort by the 'Runcorn Rocket'.

Andy F
In reply to andy farnell:
+1, a stunning effort
 hoodmonkey 29 Jun 2013

Agreed.

Incredible stuff from a world-class boulderer/climber.
 Fraser 29 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive...but I wish she had put her false teeth back in for that photo.
 Robert Durran 30 Jun 2013
> (In reply to UKC News) The comments on this thread show why ukc is so derided by many who actually know about hard climbing.

Actually, I think that the healthy lack of fawning reverence and pedestals for climbing's "athletes" is a good thing which differentiates climbing from the organised "sports" without in any way detracting from peoples' achievements which can amply speak for themslves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...