UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Old Man of Stoer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Oct 2016
Old Man of Stoer, 3 kbBack by popular demand, UKC user David Linnett has shared his latest video of a recent trip to climb the super-classic Old Man of Stoer in the far North West of Scotland. One of the "Big 3" sea stacks in Scotland, along with Am Buchaille and the Old Man of Hoy, this Old Man is reputed by many to be the finest of them all.

Read more
 olddirtydoggy 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Funny isn't it, all these vids by brands about adventure yet nothing quite comes even close to Dave Linnets stuff. I can relate to his material as it's just a group of friends who seem to be genuinely nice people enjoying a good climb. Non of it's stupid grades, it's just a great watch and inspires adventure.
Please don't stop making these films.
 zigzag 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I brew a cup of coffee and then sit back to watch David's video's, it's like being there and in some cases I have been, no nonsense or bull just plain honest to goodness climbing with a bit of wild life and fantastic Drone shots thrown in, I just can't get enough. Thanks Bald Eagle and thank your team from all of us.
 Doug 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Many thanks, brought back memories of a day long ago (mid 80s) even if we did (accidentally) climb a different line after pitch 2
 James B 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Brings it back! One of my best ever days out. Great video.
But why didn't you film the crossing to set up the tyrolean?
 barry donovan 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Daves work has got better and better - fun and great spirit. A true picture with no other motives than to entertain and inspire. Always a pleasure.
 Bobling 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Raising the bar - AGAIN! Henry watched this one with me, you got a "Wow", "Cool", and the highest praise of all "Oh. My. Goodness." Climb safe : )
 BusyLizzie 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Gorgeous. What a lovely film!! ANd what an amazing place ... I so want to go there.
 AP Melbourne 07 Oct 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Yep, delightful film and beautifully shot. Well done Dave, right up there with your best work.
 Sealwife 07 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Beautiful. And thank you. Can I ask what the music is please?
In reply to UKC News:

My favourite film maker has just made me add another climb to my must do list ! I love the drone shots and as usual the adventure looks great fun. Brilliant weather too !
 BALD EAGLE 08 Oct 2016
In reply to James B:

> Brings it back! One of my best ever days out. Great video.

> But why didn't you film the crossing to set up the tyrolean?

Thanks a million James and the Tyrolean was already in-situ so no need for a freezing swim thankfully!
 BALD EAGLE 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

> Beautiful. And thank you. Can I ask what the music is please?

Thanks Sealwife and the lovely music is called Parachute by Bruce Maginnis and Kate Henshaw from Audio Network! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 08 Oct 2016
In reply to I like climbing, odd, Doug, bobling, zigzag, AP, busylizzie and all:

> My favourite film maker has just made me add another climb to my must do list ! I love the drone shots and as usual the adventure looks great fun. Brilliant weather too !

Thanks a million to you all for taking the time to post your kind words as it is muchly appreciated and makes all those long hours of editing worthwhile! Cheers Dave
 ericinbristol 08 Oct 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Lovely - well done, much appreciated!
 Robert Durran 08 Oct 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> The Tyrolean was already in-situ so no need for a freezing swim thankfully!

That seems a shame - kind off misses part of the point of sea stacking. I hope somebody has or does tidy the place up.

Anyway, nice little film. Rab should sign you up to make "branded content"

Dell 08 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent work, really enjoyed that.

Thought there should probably be a music credit at the end though.
 pneame 08 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant. Looks a lot harder than it's grade!
 BALD EAGLE 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> That seems a shame - kind off misses part of the point of sea stacking. I hope somebody has or does tidy the place up.

> Anyway, nice little film. Rab should sign you up to make "branded content"

Cheers Robert and I'm game if Rab are!
 BALD EAGLE 08 Oct 2016
In reply to pneame and Dell:

> Brilliant. Looks a lot harder than it's grade!

Thanks once again guys for your positive comments as it makes it all worthwhile!

BALD EAGLE 08 Oct 2016
In reply to ericinbristol:

> Lovely - well done, much appreciated!

Cheers Eric and I really appreciate your appreciation!
 Wee Davie 08 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Just watched it. Stunning footage- what a day you had! A cracking film. I've not rock climbed for 2 years but that film made me really miss it. Can't ask for more than that...
well done
 Skyfall 08 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Such a great mini film of a mini adventure. Really nice to see a group of friends out doing this stuff and climbing grades we can relate to. Keep on making these please
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

No need to rant about this one! Great little film, great to watch. Though feeling super empowered to send those sea stacks now!
 Michael Hood 08 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News: Another good un from Bald Eagle - keep doing these - us normal punters can really relate to them much better than the latest desperate.

BALD EAGLE 09 Oct 2016
In reply to Wee Davie:

> Just watched it. Stunning footage- what a day you had! A cracking film. I've not rock climbed for 2 years but that film made me really miss it. Can't ask for more than that...

> well done

Many thanks Wee Davie and glad you enjoyed my wee video! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 09 Oct 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Such a great mini film of a mini adventure. Really nice to see a group of friends out doing this stuff and climbing grades we can relate to. Keep on making these please

Cheers Skyfall and I have another 3 videos to edit from various recent adventures so watch this space...
 BALD EAGLE 09 Oct 2016
In reply to Wayne S:

> No need to rant about this one! Great little film, great to watch. Though feeling super empowered to send those sea stacks now!

Thanks a million Wayne! Get on those sea stacks! Cheers Dave
 planetmarshall 09 Oct 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Cheers Skyfall and I have another 3 videos to edit from various recent adventures so watch this space...

Maybe ease off on the drone footage. They make great introduction shots but the better part of your film was that of the climbing. I found myself skipping past the first few minutes.

Really enjoyed it... and no fulmars harmed, either
 Michael Hood 09 Oct 2016
In reply to planetmarshall: I thought there was a bit too much going over the top of the stack drone footage, but I did wonder whether it's possible to control them well enough to have it for example flying up the line of the route. I realise that David can't do that while he's actually climbing - which might also be very effective to have it actually moving up with a climber.

Also it must very much depend on the wind conditions; even a slight wind might cause significant turbulence close to the stack - woops, kerplosh, there goes another one

Jim 1003 09 Oct 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Good film, most I get bored with and click off, not yours, they're great!
 robate 09 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

oh man, fantastic, for some reason puts me in mind of Hen Cloud in autumn of '78; thanks
 Robert Durran 09 Oct 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I thought there was a bit too much going over the top of the stack drone footage.

Yes, I thought that too - small complaint though. And I wonder if I am alone in finding the trend for just speeding up the "boring" bits in climbing videos a little bit lazy and irritating - why not just cut them. I have seen far worse examples than this though! Otherwise really enjoyable and authentic.

Trangia 09 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Good film. It brought back lots of memories, although it was running a high sea when we climbed it, with lots of spray soaking the first 5a traverse pitch making it very slippery. Pity it did't also include the swim to put up the Tyrolean and the ab off.

Glad to see all the ab tat has been cleared from the summit!
 whistler 09 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I know it's personal choice but no helmets? Nice wee vid.
 olddirtydoggy 09 Oct 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Can't wait for those to get released. Your stuff is head and shoulders above the commercial crap.
 BALD EAGLE 10 Oct 2016

> Another good un from Bald Eagle - keep doing these - us normal punters can really relate to them much better than the latest desperate.

Thanks Michael and I really appreciate the positive feedback! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 10 Oct 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Maybe ease off on the drone footage. They make great introduction shots but the better part of your film was that of the climbing. I found myself skipping past the first few minutes.

> Really enjoyed it... and no fulmars harmed, either

Hey planetmarshall thanks a million for the constructive feedback as it is really appreciated! I can definitely confirm no fulmars were harmed in the making of this film...
 BALD EAGLE 10 Oct 2016
> I did wonder whether it's possible to control them well enough to have it for example flying up the line of the route. I realise that David can't do that while he's actually climbing - which might also be very effective to have it actually moving up with a climber.

> Also it must very much depend on the wind conditions; even a slight wind might cause significant turbulence close to the stack - woops, kerplosh, there goes another one

Hi Michael with calm wind conditions and a small bit of skill you can pretty easily fly your quadcopter/drone up the line of the route. However I was so knackered and a bit dehydrated from carrying all the gear in, running around + setting everything up pre-climb and then actually doing and filming the climb that I did not trust myself to fly Arnie the Drone to close to the stack although I was sorely tempted! It has definitely reached the stage that I could do with an extra pair of hands to help with the filming and especially flying the drone whilst I'm on the climb itself... Cheers Dave
Post edited at 08:56
 John Gresty 10 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Did this in 1999 (I think) and it was all rigged for a future television recording. Tyrolean across the bottom and from the top to the mainland. Also a abseil rope all the way down tucked away out of sight on the seaward side. Made life a lot easier. Cubby and some of his mates from Glencoe had done the rigging and were there at the time, not climbing but giving advice to some of their friends who were climbing it in front of us.
The team in front was a rope of three, and the middle climber was a heavily pregant woman who coped very easily, what's more she returned via the tyrolean from the top to the mainland. We were very impressed. The pair of us took the abseil.

I have often wondered about that TV show, do not know what it was or where it was to be shown.

John
 brianjcooper 10 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

A truly awesome climb which should be on everyone's tick list. Did it on 20/08/1996. I wished the weather had been as kind then.
 James FR 10 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

A fantastic video; I'd love to see the occasional shot of gear being placed if this is possible to film with someone flying the drone while you're on the route.

It's taken for granted in the UK, but it is one of the things that makes British climbing unique. A lot of people I climb with in France have never been trad climbing and it would be great to show them some videos of relatively safe trad routes.
 BALD EAGLE 10 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Good film, most I get bored with and click off, not yours, they're great!

Heya Jim many thanks for your positive words as it is greatly appreciated! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 10 Oct 2016
In reply to robate:

> oh man, fantastic, for some reason puts me in mind of Hen Cloud in autumn of '78; thanks

Cheers robate and I'm very glad you enjoyed my wee video! Dave
 BALD EAGLE 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Good film. It brought back lots of memories, although it was running a high sea when we climbed it, with lots of spray soaking the first 5a traverse pitch making it very slippery. Pity it did't also include the swim to put up the Tyrolean and the ab off.

Hey Trangia thanks for taking the time to post some kind words and I hope it evoked some happy memories for you! Although the Don had already offered to do the "Swim of Doom" there was already a Tyrolean in-situ and I did not think the film needed to show us abbing off. In fact we are all still stuck up on the summit... Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 11 Oct 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Can't wait for those to get released. Your stuff is head and shoulders above the commercial crap.

Thanks a million ODD and I really appreciate your appreciation! Cheers Dave
 brianjcooper 11 Oct 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Can't stop watching this excellent short film. Must do it again before it's too late.
Well done Dave. More of the same please.

How times change. My old guide books give the first pitch traverse as 4c! I found it desperately hard to lead as it was very greasy when we did it. And the second pitch, the slanting crack, was give as the crux at 5a, now 4b.
Great fun though.
Post edited at 12:32
 BALD EAGLE 11 Oct 2016
In reply to brianjcooper:

> A truly awesome climb which should be on everyone's tick list. Did it on 20/08/1996. I wished the weather had been as kind then.

Yes an absolute super-classic of a climb Brian on superb rock which you often do not get on adventure routes of this kind! Ironically it persistently precipitated for 24 hours solid the day before our climb before the skies magically cleared overnights...
 BALD EAGLE 11 Oct 2016
In reply to James FR:

> A fantastic video; I'd love to see the occasional shot of gear being placed if this is possible to film with someone flying the drone while you're on the route.

Heya James thanks for your kind words and as mentioned higher up it has reached the stage where, as well as my better half filming the long shots, I could do with an extra pair of hands to help and especially to fly my/or a drone whilst I'm climbing the route! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 13 Oct 2016
In reply to brianjcooper:

> Can't stop watching this excellent short film. Must do it again before it's too late.

> Well done Dave. More of the same please.

There are 3 more videos in the pipeline Brian!

> How times change. My old guide books give the first pitch traverse as 4c! I found it desperately hard to lead as it was very greasy when we did it. And the second pitch, the slanting crack, was give as the crux at 5a, now 4b.

> Great fun though.

Yep that 1st 5a traverse pitch is notoriously damp and greasy but when we did this pitch it was thankfully bone dry, albeit a bit burly...

Cheers Dave

99ster 13 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

BALD EAGLE = Legend!

Thanks for all your brilliant vids - keep up the good work!
 BALD EAGLE 14 Oct 2016
In reply to 99ster:

> BALD EAGLE = Legend!

> Thanks for all your brilliant vids - keep up the good work!

Ha ha the cheque's in the post Mum! Many thanks anyways 99ster and I really appreciate your appreciation... Cheers Dave
 sjminfife 21 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant, the rock looks much better than I expected too.
 BALD EAGLE 22 Oct 2016
In reply to sjminfife:

> Brilliant, the rock looks much better than I expected too.

Hey sjm many thanks and the roughly grained Torridonian sandstone was impeccable and absolutely delightful to climb! Cheers Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...