UKC

NEWS: Oldish: Geraldine Taylor and Jibé Tribout still cranking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 11 Sep 2007
Two climbers who were familiar names in the 1980's are still cranking hard despite being on the far side of 40.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Steve Parker 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

'In the Peaks she made her annual ascent of London Wall at Milestone and Goosey Goosey Ganda at Stanage.'

You just trying to get a rise out of Al and Gordon, or what?
 co1ps 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Nice to see Gerry's still doing 'Get Some In' after all these years. Good effort!

Gerry's a phenomenon, not least because she looks so unlike a climber.

jcm
 Glyn Jones 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Think I may have seen her at Huntsman's Leap - she didn't bother going in as it was already popular. Some of the guys I was with said they saw her the day before romping up all the routes at Stennis Head and putting many to shame with her talent (I could be wrong though).

Pembroke was an interesting visit as one friend said the routes are hard for grade but there were plenty of the beerbelly brigade heading off to do E1, E2, E3 and onwards.
 Nic 11 Sep 2007

Not sure how to react to this...like you're saying the far side of 40 is old or something ?!
 Norrie Muir 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Nic:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Not sure how to react to this...like you're saying the far side of 40 is old or something ?!

Well if you can't keep up with a 54 year old woman, you should take up knitting or something as energetic.
 Glyn Jones 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Nic:
>
> Not sure how to react to this...like you're saying the far side of 40 is old or something ?!

Look on the bright (far) side;

1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
3. No one expects you to run....anywhere.
4. People call at 9 PM and ask, "Did I wake you?"
5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
6. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
7. Things you buy now won't wear out.
8. You can eat dinner at 4:00 P.M.
9. You can live without sex but not without glasses.
10. You enjoy hearing about other peoples operations.
11. You get into heated arguments about pension plans.
12. You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.
13. You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
14. You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
15. You sing along with elevator music.
16. Your eyes won't get much worse.
17. Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.
18. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the national weather service.
19. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
20. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to a manageable size.
21. You can't remember who sent you this list.

John2 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir: Geraldine's just taken up knitting, actually.
 Glyn Jones 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Nic)
> [...]
>
> Well if you can't keep up with a 54 year old woman, you should take up knitting or something as energetic.

Dear Norrie

Do you knit?

Best Regards

Glyn
 tobyfk 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Nic:

"Hollywood 29" ... see Micheal Reardon obit at climbing.com

In reply to Norrie Muir:>
> Well if you can't keep up with a 54 year old woman, you should take up knitting or something as energetic.

You are kidding? I watched Angela Soper, who I believe is in her 60s (treads carefully here)soloing at Almscliff a couple of years ago, and she rocks.
 Chubbard 11 Sep 2007

Jibe Tribout's dad is no slouch either despite being even older ( well he'd have to be ) than Jibe. I remember reading ages that his dad had just done his first 8a at the age of 50.
 sutty 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie:

Angela who? This one on a 6b new route four years ago?

http://www.rockfax.com/databases/r.php?i=14623
 cas smerdon 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Nic:
>
>

Yeah care to step outside and suggest that?

TimS 11 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty: Climbing and bolting choss seems to be the thing to do when your years advance and you live in Yorkshire!
In reply to TimS: to lower the tone a bit, I just saw the pic of Jibé Tribout and as well as having a cool name he looks like Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Well, if you guys can lust over Julia Bradbury...
Serpico 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie:
Sorry, but I saw him last month in Ailefroide and he's not blond anymore.
 TimB 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Serpico:

I was belaying next to him at Scalatabel at Thaurac (he'd brought his kids along to burn everyone off) and can confirm that he is no longer blond, but does still have slightly boggly eyes, forearms like oak trees, and paths 7cs without apparent effort.

(In reply to Chubbard - you're thinking of Marc or Antoine le Menestral)
Geraldine 12 Sep 2007
I repeated London Wall again last night and I did Energy Crises on Sat. I was given knitting needles and wool for my 54th birthday and I am finding it much harder to learn to do since I am left handed than climbing E5s. Geraldine
 sutty 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Geraldine:

I will show you how to knit left handed if you can show me how to get up London Wall free.

Nice one lass. Doing laps on it next to warm up.
 ali_mac 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Geraldine:
"The important thing is to keep having fun climbing and to get out on the rock rather than spend time talking about "How do I improve my climbing". You improve by doing it and enjoying what you are doing."

thanks for the mantra.
In awe and respect.
 co1ps 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Geraldine: 54?!?!? I can't believe how the years roll by without us noticing it. Are you a lurker on here or just joined up??
Finn
 co1ps 13 Sep 2007
 UKB Shark 13 Sep 2007
In reply to ali_mac: In reply to ali_mac: "The important thing is to keep having fun climbing and to get out on the rock rather than spend time talking about "How do I improve my climbing". You improve by doing it and enjoying what you are doing."

thanks for the mantra.
In awe and respect.

Not sure who you are quoting but talking about improving and getting out on the rock are not mutually exclusive insofar as I can't imagine anyone deciding to spend a day talking about improving in favour of going out climbing.

Talking about improving is productive if it leads to productive training or activities that can lead to improvements above and beyond 'doing it'. Admitedly volume trad climbing is absolutely essential for pushing your trad grade to a certain personal level. However, to improve beyond that may require lateral activities ie focus on dieting, indoor endurance work, bouldering or even sport climbing depending on your relative weaknesses. This is especially so for those (most of us) whose time and circumstances limit how much you can realistically 'get out on the rock'.

For me it would have been 'news' if she had climbed say an E6 rather than maintained her E5 level of 20+ years rather than improved. However, on the basis of her track record this year it sounds as if she certainly should have a go at an E6, as of the Pembroke routes mentioned Yellow Pearls is one of the most physically demanding E5's around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...