UKC

VIDEO: Packing for Wild Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Rachael Crewesmith runs through what to take overnight camping in the hills and where to pack it in the bag.

Read more

rachcrewe 10 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

What? No slating? Even for my fork? The internet must be broken. 

Lankyman 10 Nov 2021
In reply to rachcrewe:

> What? No slating? Even for my fork? The internet must be broken. 

You take a fork??? A spoon and small, sharp knife were my wilderness cutlery array.

rachcrewe 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Oh thank goodness. For a moment I thought I’d nailed it… 

Wainers44 10 Nov 2021

It was interesting,  always good to see how others decide what to take and the sequence of packing!

Missing? I would say small book (plug for the "Book of the bivy",  reading which always makes tent camping seem luxurious,  regardless of weather!), also...hipflask for those long evenings...

Lots of separate dry bags? Sleeping bag yes, but bigger drybag liner I find better. Not sold on the idea of keeping tent fly and inner separate as by morning both are normally pretty soggy due to condensation. With a 45l pack I prefer the tent all together in one of those thicker bags and fixed to side of the pack means I can get the tent up without having to open the pack to the elements!

...and the fork....mmm...depends if I want to plant some bulbs while I am out!

Doghouse 10 Nov 2021
In reply to rachcrewe:

> What? No slating? Even for my fork? The internet must be broken. 

Oh go on then .. . .     a couple of points

What tent were you using - that looked huge!

And the other end of the spectrum  - cut the handle off your tooth brush. 

rachcrewe 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Doghouse:

Certainly was huge. It was Rob’s Quasar which is bigger than I would normally take but it’s also useful to see that it all still fits: a less expensive tent will still fit in a smallish bag. 

Disagree about the toothbrush: have you ever actually tried cleaning your teeth with a little stump toothbrush? 

rachcrewe 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Missing? I would say small book (plug for the "Book of the bivy",  reading which always makes tent camping seem luxurious,  regardless of weather!), 

I have the kindle app on my phone. Not as romantic but weight saving and practical.

> Lots of separate dry bags? Sleeping bag yes, but bigger drybag liner I find better. Not sold on the idea of keeping tent fly and inner separate as by morning both are normally pretty soggy due to condensation.

Less so on windy days. I find that works for me. The trouble with one pack liner is that in bad weather you open it up and all the water gets in. I prefer to keep things separate and organised but that is, of course, personal. 

>With a 45l pack I prefer the tent all together in one of those thicker bags and fixed to side of the pack means I can get the tent up without having to open the pack to the elements!

Lots of controversy about keeping things on the outside. I got slated in a previous video for suggesting putting tent poles on the outside. I find having everything inside is better in general. 

> ...and the fork....mmm...depends if I want to plant some bulbs while I am out!

Still easier with a trowel! 

In reply to rachcrewe:

> Disagree about the toothbrush: have you ever actually tried cleaning your teeth with a little stump toothbrush? 

Disagree. Remove all your teeth instead, which gets rid of the need for a brush and of course reduces the weight of your mouth. 

Dr.S at work 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

better yet - get anodised purple titanium teeth - light and strong!

sheppy 12 Nov 2021

Wow, seriously impressed that all goes in, I struggle to get my trad kit in a 45 litre sac for a day out!

Andypeak 12 Nov 2021
In reply to sheppy:

I swear that stuff expands to fill the space it has available. I used to use a really old 90 litre sack as my cragging bag just because it was old and didn't get used for much else. The rack and ropes filled it. I could fit the same rack and ropes in 35 litre sack if I was climbing bigger routes and would be carrying the sack. It filled that too!

The New NickB 12 Nov 2021

Put toothpaste on the brush and cling film it vs. the worlds biggest one person tent.

I did a few overnight trips in the summer and autumn, bivvying which helped, but had a tiny tarp shelter and pole, managed with a 28l bag. Think I could have squeezed in the extra insulation for at least the current mild winter.

im off 13 Nov 2021

On all of my expeditions, day one I spend an age packing....unpacking....packing better.

By day....3 ish, bah, shove gear in and feck it. Works well for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...