UKC

INTERVIEW: Paul Pritchard Climbs the Totem Pole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 12 Apr 2016
Paul on the Pole, 3 kb'All my climbing life I've been dedicated to the pursuit of climbing such needles. Like a hunter of pointed trophies.' On Friday 13th February 1998, a traumatic, albeit ironically fortuitous event dramatically reduced British climber Paul Pritchard's physical capabilities; yet profoundly altered his perception of life and the world around him.

Last week - 18 years on - Paul went one step further and finally reached the top of the 'Tote' - bringing his new adventure full-circle and symbolically representing the 'pinnacle' of his resilience and optimism along the way. Another pointed trophy to add to his cabinet, perhaps, but surely the one which boasts the most remarkable backstory. We contacted Paul to talk about his journey.

Read more

toad 12 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

I'm struggling to think of anything that isn't some tired cliche, but this is incredible.

Brilliant article/interview Nat and equally brilliant answers/excerpts from Paul, who remains and introspective, thought provoking and down to earth as always.
 Shani 12 Apr 2016

Incredible story. Very inspirational. Good work Paul!
 mav 12 Apr 2016

A really good interview and lunchtime read. I'll have to get round to reading about the crowd funder for the film also. The original BBC programme (one of a series, I think) on Paul Pritchard's accident and recovery was worth a watch (if UKC can find it tucked away anywhere on the internet it would make a suberb Friday night vid). It led me to read first the Totem Pole and then Deep Play. His account of the enchanted broccoli garden FA will stay with me for a long time, as will much of the Totem Pole. An inspiring man.
 Misha 13 Apr 2016
Great article and like the way you've woven in extracts from the book.
 tpltravelled 13 Apr 2016

I am unsure if there is a UKC award for interview article of the year, or indeed an Outdoor writers Guild award for interview article of the year, but if there is this must be up there amongst the worthy winners. This is very very good. Congratulation to Nat and to Paul.
pasbury 14 Apr 2016

A brilliant and very moving article - thanks. Pritchard displays such resilience and acceptance, I look forward to his next book.

The video of him climbing with Dawes on rainbow slab (included on the Welsh Connections DVD) is pure gold.
 Pete_Frost 26 Apr 2016

Help Paul produce a proper film of this inspirational achievement and get some goodies as a result: http://www.pozible.com/project/205332

Please note, the amounts are in Australian dollars and you get a lot of those to the pound! Make a difference, chip in a few quid and become part of the story.
 sheavi07 02 May 2016

Such a great interview - well done and thanks. Would be good to support the film via crowdfunding.
In reply to UKC Articles: Stayed with Paul whilst we were on Tasmania before and after climbing the totem pole. He is a true gent and an absolute hero! I really hope he reaches his target as I really want to read The Totem Pole!

AP Melbourne 28 Feb 2018

Nice one Natalie, Pritch,

I'll throw in some Tassie $$ for you.

Cheers,

And. xx

fantastic interview and fantastic achievement. Totally inspiring.

barry donovan 01 Mar 2018

Celia Bull carried out an outstanding and skilled rescue with impossible pressure. Without her intervention the amazing outcome would never have occurred.

https://www.climbing.com/people/everyday-hero-ii-bullish-determination/

Pritch5 05 Mar 2018
In reply to AP Melbourne: Awww thank's Andy!  xx

Pritch5 05 Mar 2018
In reply to barry donovan:

Thank you Barry, never seen that article before!

Pritch5 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete_Frost:

Hey Pete, We are in talks with Hollywood, honest!

Pritch5 05 Mar 2018
In reply to sheavi07:

Hi sheavi07, The film has been out for over a year. 'Doing It Scared' see https://vimeo.com/ondemand/doingitscared 

This Crowdfunder - https://pozible.com/project/the-totem-pole-20-years-on is for a new 20th Anniversary Edition of The Totem Pole.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...