UKC

INTERVIEW: Peter Habeler - The Eiger Nordwand at 74

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 May 2017
Peter on the summit of the Eiger, 3 kbAustrian mountaineering legend Peter Habeler recently climbed the North face of the Eiger via the Heckmair Route once again, at the ripe old age of 74. He was partnered by 26 year old Austrian climber David Lama, who was climbing the Heckmair Route for the first time.

I sent Peter some questions about reclimbing the Eiger and his current exploits as a septuagenarian climber. Despite his busy schedule, he kindly took the time to respond.

Read more
 lummox 18 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

The man's a machine ! Wonderful to see how enthusiastic he is after a lifetime of hard climbing.
 Mick Ward 18 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Many thanks for the interview. It sounds as though he's in very good shape. Hopefully many more days in the hills to come.

Mick
 Rick Graham 18 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Legend.

Surprised he thinks the Salathe will be too hard.

Surely less effort and commitment than the ENF.

Maybe he thinks he still needs to peg up it

Sean Kelly 18 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Having met Peter a couple of times he is a real gent. What you see is what you get. Keep truckin'!
In reply to UKC News:

Edited just now to add in a question about the popularity of alpinism and ethics. In his haste to respond between his jaunts, Peter had accidentally missed half of the question
 Mick Ward 18 May 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> Those who are only focused on the summit, we also respect - although they miss out on a lot and experience only 50% of the mountain...

Wisdom.

Mick
 wbo 18 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Inspiring stuff - no excuses for us over 50's now. I really enjoyed the video extract
 simes303 19 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome.
 Pedro50 19 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Since when did the 1938 route become the Heckmair route?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3652
 gethin_allen 19 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

75 and climbing French 7a! I think I'll just give up now being less than half his age and only climbing 6c at very best.
 Will Hunt 19 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

In the photo of Tre Cime, is the line picked out the line of the Yellow Edge? Always been very psyched by that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...