UKC

NEWS: PHOTOS: Major Rockfall on Les Dru, Chamonix Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Sep 2011
Rockfall on the Petit Dru, September 2011, 2 kbLast weekend saw a major rockfall on the famous Petit Dru in the Chamonix valley, France.

The granite tower, home of several classic routes such as The American Direct, released approximately 12,000 cubic metres of rock in a series of three large collapses...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64068

jon 13 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:

It was impressive alright, even though I only saw the dust, but can't even begin to be compared to the 2005 rockfall which if I remember correctly (I might not, of course) was estimated at 250 000 cubic metres... Have I made this up?
Chris Ellyatt 13 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Wow - amazing photos. Good to hear no-one was injured, I wonder if any major routes are affected?

Chris
 nb 13 Sep 2011
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> the 2005 rockfall was estimated at 250 000 cubic metres... Have I made this up?

No Jon, that's about right. The rockfalls last weekend 'only' took out a 6m x 15m roof over a height of about 100m. They know all this 'coz the face is permanently scanned by a 3D laser system set up on the Flammes de Pierre ridge. It's mapped to an accuracy of 7cm!
In reply to nb: Which is very impressive (the scanning, that is). What's the reason for doing this?

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I think Luca posted a link to an Italian site that had similar data for their side of Mt Blanc, i think it's to to do with predicting avalanches caused by rockfall. If sufficient rock drops from the face then it can cause the glacier to head south ...

ALC
 Franco Cookson 14 Sep 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber:

You mean north? Well kinda west then north...

I hope the american direct survives. I want other people to still be able to suffer up there.
 Howard J 14 Sep 2011
 halo 14 Sep 2011
In reply to manumartin:
> (In reply to UKC News) "
> ......and a few more snaps here
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9706374@N05/6136529763/in/set-7215762764621216...

Strange coincidence with the date of a particular anniversary in American history!
 halo 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber)
>
> You mean north? Well kinda west then north...
>
> I hope the american direct survives. I want other people to still be able to suffer up there.

Well am kind of glad no one suffered that rock fall, whatever it's size etc.
 Franco Cookson 15 Sep 2011
In reply to halo:

agreed. I merely meant that it's a very cold, steep and unfriendly face.
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to manumartin)
> [...]
>
> Strange coincidence with the date of a particular anniversary in American history!

Not to mention the death of Bonatti!

halo 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to halo)
> [...]
>
> Not to mention the death of Bonatti!

Yeah just read Bonatti was certainly an inspirational character, one of the all time greats.

wired5148 17 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News: We live in geological times...
 jazzyjackson 27 Sep 2011
In reply to nb:
> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
> No Jon, that's about right. The rockfalls last weekend 'only' took out a 6m x 15m roof over a height of about 100m. They know all this 'coz the face is permanently scanned by a 3D laser system set up on the Flammes de Pierre ridge. It's mapped to an accuracy of 7cm!

thats amazing!
TFPP 18 Oct 2011
In reply to jazzyjackson:

I was opposite the Dru, on Le Signal last week. Never seen French airforce flying so low up the Mer de Glace before. Two jets, one hell of a racket. Somehow doesn't seem too responsible after another spate of rockfalls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...