UKC

NEWS: Prinzip Hoffnung E10 - Repeated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Mar 2010
[Beat Kammerlander - Principle Hope E10?, 1 kb]Austrian climber Alex Luger has made the second ascent of Beat Kammerlander's Prinzip Hoffnung E10.
The route on the Burs Plate in Austria was first climbed by Kammerlander a decade ago as a sport route at F8b/+. Last year he climbed it without the bolts and estimated a mighty E10.
Alex Luger has...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=52716
 Guy Maccdox 31 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

The report on Planet Mountain is also available in english:
http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=37...
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Guy Maddox:

"....and climbing such a line in the "cleanest" of styles represents a dream come true. After the first sporadic attempts on toprope in Spring 2009...."

Eh?
 Mike Mead 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Neil Foster:

> "....and climbing such a line in the "cleanest" of styles represents a dream come true. After the first sporadic attempts on toprope in Spring 2009...."
>
> Eh?

Personally I think we should be applauding the fact that some mainland Europeans enjoy a trad outing now and again. And so what if it was a headpoint? It's quite a tricky route.
 Mike Stretford 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Neil Foster: By '"cleanest" of styles' he is obviously referring to the trad nature of the route......it is a translation!
 Owen W-G 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Papillon:

Route looks unbelievable. What a sheet of rock.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Mike Mead:
> (In reply to Neil Foster)
>
> [...]
>
> Personally I think we should be applauding the fact that some mainland Europeans enjoy a trad outing now and again. And so what if it was a headpoint? It's quite a tricky route.

Careful Mike. There are numerous "mainland Europeans" who are outstanding trad climbers. We mustn't fall into the trap of thinking it is only Brits who do trad (a bit like thinking that it was the Rock and Ice who invented the hand jam!).

And I wasn't criticising his effort on what does indeed look like an outstanding wall, but merely wondering how someone could confuse top rope rehearsal of a trad route with the cleanest of styles.

Frankly I find the concept of de-bolting an established sport route before replacing it with a heavily practised "trad" headpoint (as Sonnie Trotter has done on some American routes) rather odd.

I certainly don't think it represents the great improvement in style which it is usually written up as.

Cheers

Neil

Mike Mead 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Neil Foster:

Then sorry, mate, maybe I misread or whatever but I don't understand where you're coming from. You seemed at first to be dissing the achievement.

But anyway... Interesting that a new E10-ish ascent excites so little interst. Big News over here. Absolutely stunning route.
 Scarab 31 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

wow amazing trad route

similar grade to greenspit i noticed
 Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2010
In reply to Mike Mead:
> (In reply to Neil Foster)
>
> Then sorry, mate, maybe I misread or whatever but I don't understand where you're coming from. You seemed at first to be dissing the achievement.
>
> But anyway... Interesting that a new E10-ish ascent excites so little interst. Big News over here. Absolutely stunning route.

First it is not a new route it's a repeat, a fine one. But as neil said rehearsed. Style is important when qualifying ascents.

Second don't confuse few forum comments with lack of interest. The news item has had nearly 2000 views in a couple of days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...