UKC

INTERVIEW: Roy Thomas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 07 Apr 2022

Eben Myrddin Muse interviews South Wales climbing legend Roy Thomas. 

Roy Thomas is a name that most who've spent any time climbing in South East Wales will know. Even if they've never met him, they'll most likely feel a familiarity borne from his name crowding guidebook route credits, Wikis and UKC entries, or popping up on their notifications as he posts another photo of a regeared crag on Facebook. You might have spotted him at the crag, jugging a line, and packing a fresh new set of bolts. His first ascents, many christened with his trademark debauched sense of humour, litter the valleys and the cliffs of the Gower. The first route I ever climbed was a Roy Thomas number and so were most of the next few hundred.

Read more

Paddy_nolan 08 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC Articles:

I went to uni in swansea (met) and left a few years ago (2019) and bumped into Roy a few times and some of my climbing partners had a lot of dealings with Roy - a really nice bloke. 

loads of great routes something that always amazed me was how frequent new routes were popping up. There would be more new routes then you could climb! 

it’s brilliant- love it. 

get on Roy!

A very good interview, it’s great to see Roy getting some kudos for his many achievements and for all his hard work.

Keep up the good work Roy.

Chris

Mick Ward 08 Apr 2022
In reply to Christheclimber:

Totally agree. An excellent interview with a notable subject. I've long regarded Roy Thomas as a legendary figure. 

There are always people, often under the radar, quietly working away, giving back to climbing. Largely unsung heroes. 

They're worthy of recognition in their own right. And if highlighting their efforts inspires others to come forward... well, as an old climbing mate of mine used to say, "It's all good!"

Mick  

HarryJohnston 08 Apr 2022

Great interview, cool to get an insight into someone whos had such an impact on SE Wales climbing

Gary Gibson 08 Apr 2022

Super bloke, determined, dogged, supportive, he deserves recognition for how he has brought the area into one worthy of visiting, I think the BMC and the climbing community owe him a massive thanks, perhaps an award?

FactorXXX 08 Apr 2022
In reply to Gary Gibson:

>  I think the BMC and the climbing community owe him a massive thanks, perhaps an award?

A medal fashioned from one of his specials perhaps?

In reply to Gary Gibson:

And an award for you as well Gary.

Gary Gibson 11 Apr 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:I’ve got some at home😇

Gary Gibson 11 Apr 2022
In reply to Christheclimber:

Too many new-sayers even today?

Great interview Eben!

I remember meeting both you and Roy whilst he bolted some new routes at Craig Cwm. Amazing to see the legend doing his craft!

Hoping the passion and care Roy has for the South Wales crags can be inspiring and passed on to more generations to keep the sport going down here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...