UKC

VIDEO: Second Ascent of The Meltdown (8c+/9a) by Ignacio Mulero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Sep 2019
Second Ascent of The Meltdown (8c+/9a) by Ignacio Mulero The Meltdown (9a) in Twll Mawr, Llanberis Slate Quarries first came to prominence in the 1980s when it escaped the grasp of slab master Johnny Dawes. The route remained unclimbed until local James McHaffie bagged the first ascent in 2012, giving the UK its hardest slab climb at 8c+/9a. In 2018, Spanish climber Ignacio Mulero made his second trip over to attempt the route and repeated the route.

Read more
 AMorris 26 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Me and some friends were in Serengeti the day before he did Meltdown. If only I had known who the guy sitting down and watching me punter off Windows of Perception on TR was, I might have clung on a bit harder and stopped dicking around!

I'd like to think I inspired him to get on it...

jamesg85 26 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive bit of climbing and cool video only let down by the subtitling.

Michael Hood 26 Sep 2019
In reply to jamesg85:

I especially liked two bits:

First when he lassoed the next clip - cool I thought

Then the bit where he pulled his foot up with his hand and then snatched to the next holds with both hands at the same time - had to rewind/replay a couple of times to confirm "did I just see that?"

Post edited at 18:58
 Dominic Green 27 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing that he did this in Boreals

john arran 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Dominic Green:

> Amazing that he did this in Boreals

Why?

misterb 27 Sep 2019

Ha ha I wondered when someone would mention that, and I guess caff also did it in boreals so it looks like if you want to climb the hardest slab in the UK boreal is the only brand to go for 😂

Mick Ward 27 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great video - and he even managed to make it look relatively easy!!!

Mick

Adam Lincoln 27 Sep 2019

> Amazing that he did this in Boreals

Whys that Pal? The first ascentionist also wore Boreals, so this comment makes you look pretty damn stupid, doesn’t it?

In reply to Adam Lincoln:

"so this comment makes you look pretty damn stupid"

Uninformed on this subject, yes.

Bit of a leap to think that makes him stupid.

Post edited at 13:59
 Adam Lincoln 27 Sep 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

> "so this comment makes you look pretty damn stupid"

> Uninformed on this subject, yes.

> Bit of a leap to think that makes him stupid.

Its a turn of phrase. Maybe he shouldn’t come out with such daft statements then should he. Then people wont call him out on it, and have reason to suggest that he could potentially be a little stupid for what he said.

In reply to UKC News:

Excellent video l really enjoyed it. Ignacio climbs it with style. How did he do that clip at 6.54??!!

Good to see footage of Johnny back in 86 trying it, what a visionary.

Chris

J.Corbott 27 Sep 2019

C’mon sausage get a grip, or not if you’re wearing Boreal’s so to speak. ✌️

AymanC 27 Sep 2019
In reply to jamesg85:

Even worse the music makes it hard to listen even if you do speak Spanish

wbo2 28 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News: he makes if look easy - liked that, well filmed.

I didn't mind the subtitles or music 

In reply to UKC News:

Amazing that he did this in Boreals

Bit of a disappointment that he wasn’t wearing Ron Hills.

Deadeye 29 Sep 2019

> Its a turn of phrase. Maybe he shouldn’t come out with such daft statements then should he. Then people wont call him out on it, and have reason to suggest that he could potentially be a little stupid for what he said.

Is it though Pal? Lots of people think otherwise, so this comment makes you look pretty damn stupid, doesn’t it?

Adam Lincoln 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

> Is it though Pal? Lots of people think otherwise, so this comment makes you look pretty damn stupid, doesn’t it?

Yes sleepyeye, i mean deadeye, but That, at the end of the day my friend, is just how it is. I couldn't care less about some daft thumbs up and thumbs down like or dislike 😂. At the end  of the day, he was wrong. I called him out. End of. 

Thank you, and goodnight, thats all she wrote. 

wbo2 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Adam Lincoln: for a bit of context there are, every now and again , threads where people say that Boreal are rubbish, you cant climb more than 6a in them blah blah blah. Now you know that's rubbish, but hey these threads exist..

So then the joke is ' and he climbed it in Boreals.....'.

Chris_Mellor 29 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Adam, you wrote " I called him out. End of. "

I don't think you understand that thus makes you seem intransigent to many other forum users. Yes, you had your opinion of the comment but there was no need to be uncivil in your criticism of it, was there?

If you didn't think you were being uncivil then I am afraid, in my opinion, you need re-educating in making social interactions pleasant and easier.

Deadeye 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> I don't think you understand that thus makes you seem like a tosser to many other forum users.

FTFY

lcb

In reply to Deadeye:

Well, now you are descending to the level of the original insult.

Let's not follow the example of our politicians. Surely we are better than that?

Toerag 30 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Having read Johnny's description of the route in an old On The Edge mag I always get disappointed watching people on it. He spoke of cluster's of 5 holds necessary to swap hands and leaping into laybacks where your knee rests on your hands etc. It sounded so out there, yet the videos don't seem to show that - has everyone else got different beta?

(I still have the article if anyone wants me to post up his description)

Sl@te Head 30 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great achievement and a cool video, it's really sad that the comments on here don't reflect this...

jezb1 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Great achievement and a cool video, it's really sad that the comments on here don't reflect this...

Madness isn’t it?!

A free video that I thought was ace.

Adam Hocking 01 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC News:

youtube.com/watch?v=4KQFQXrMmwM&

Check out Caff on the first ascent.

snoop6060 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

> Having read Johnny's description of the route 

To be fair Johnny could  describe going the corner shop in a such a way that the reader would think you need to be from outer space to have any chance of making it for your milk.

Post edited at 14:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...