/ NEWS: Shadowboxing (9a) for Paige Claassen

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
UKC News 07 Oct 2019
Paige Claassen on Shadowboxing 9a American climber Paige Claassen has climbed her first 9a: Shadowboxing in Rifle, Colorado. The route was first climbed by Jonathan Siegrist in 2011, who described the route as 'a sea of underclings up a stunning 45-metre wall.'

Read more
owensum 07 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC News:

So impressive. How many US women have climbed this grade out of interest?

Wft 07 Oct 2019
In reply to owensum:

Margo 

Ashima 

Can’t think of any more 

In reply to owensum:

Sasha did Pure Imagination at the Red River Gorge

In reply to owensum:

Michaela Kirsch as well 

The Golden Ticket and the iconic Necessary Evil.

1poundSOCKS 07 Oct 2019
In reply to guy xavier percival:

> Sasha did Pure Imagination at the Red River Gorge

8c+ in the guidebook. I think it was initially given 9a.

Tyler 07 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Is Algorithm no longer considered 9a? She did that sometime last year (though it wasn’t reported in the uk as i recall), I remember seeing the video and thinking how like Malham Upper Tier it looked

teddy 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Paige said this about Algorithmn in this Rock and Ice interview

"I don’t know what to think of the grade of this one. I did it a lot quicker than most of my other hard routes. To me it felt comparable to a lot of the 14c’s I’ve done. It’s a second ascent so the grading is always tough. I don’t want to claim it as my first 9a because I am not sure about the grade. But still, it is pretty cool to be able to say you have climbed that grade."

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/paige-claassen-makes-second-ascent-of-algorithm-5-14d/ 

So I guess it wasn't 100% sure that Algorithmn was 9a. Its listed as 9a/8c+ on her blog. Great work Paige on both climbs!

AJM 08 Oct 2019
In reply to guy xavier percival:

Judging by titles in videos and what Google suggests it autocomplete if you type "necessary evil 14", it looks like Necessary Evil is 14c/8c+.

I have to confess that's where I thought Golden Ticket had ended up too, and again the internet seems to give that suggestion too. 

owensum 08 Oct 2019
AlanLittle 08 Oct 2019
In reply to owensum:

Trois grimpeuses américaines according to this list (if Sasha on Era Vella doesn't count):

http://escalade9.wifeo.com/du-cote-des-filles.php

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.