UKC

NEW ARTICLE: SIr Ran Fiennes on the Eiger - By Kenton Cool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 14 Jan 2008
"With Ran's vertigo the exposed traverses were going to be a psychological crux. Ian hauled his way across the Hinterstoisser first so he could film the veteran explorer as he struggled with his demons. The look on Ran's face when he arrived at the belay said it all. The poor guy was petrified yet he had successfully negotiated his way across the traverse (only to nearly blow it at the end when he hurled his axe at the belay, almost cutting one of the ropes that attached Ian to the face!)"

"Suddenly a yelp broke our basking glory. Ian was speeding on his back towards us like an upturned turtle. The possible reason for the fall was a tangle in the rope, meaning Ran couldn't pay rope out as Ian was mid step...

Writes Kenton Cool in his concluding article about guiding the Eiger North Face with Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=768
 Glyn Jones 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Love the part 2 - Ian sounds nails!

Love the "it was here that we found out that Ran was a former Army hole digging champion, 'is there no end to this man's talents?'"

And scary that Ian just said to the upturned turtle situation when arriving back to Kenton and Ran "guys have we a problem with the rope?"

He must have cojones the size of footballs!

Well done all and cracking article Kenton!
 mike lawrence? 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: I really liked these 2 articles, it was great to read something with no cynicism, backbiting or ego. It was refreshing to see such admiration for someone who is not a very good climber. Thanks for this. Mike
rich 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: just got round to reading this 'cos i'm sulking at work

very good :¬)
 grumsta 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

Really enjoyed that, thanks!
freed 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: A fantastic achievement - as well as a brilliant way to raise cash for charity. Congratulations all round. The article and pix are excellent, too. Thanks
 Dennis Gray 27 Jan 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:
The Ballad of Cool Kenton. To be sung to the tune of Waltzing Matilda.

Climbing the Eiger,Climbing the Eiger
Who'll go a climbing the Mordwand with me?
There are guides out in Zermatt,Chamonix and Grindlewald
Guides in the Oberland; one, two or three
For a lousy thousand francs they will drag you up the Matterhorn
But only Cool Kenton will guide the Eiger for me.
Climbing the Eiger,Climbing the Eiger
Who'll go a climbing the Eigerwand with me?
Not those guides out in Zermatt,Chamonix and Grindlewald
For only Cool Kenton is the Eiger guide for me!
 auld al 07 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: hi, does anyone know if it's possible to obtain the film footage of this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...