UKC

NEWS: Solo First Ascent of Lunag Ri by David Lama

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Oct 2018
Austrian alpinist David Lama has completed the first ascent of Lunag Ri (6907m) on the border between Nepal and Tibet, solo and after three years of attempts. In 2015, Lama and Conrad Anker reached 300m short of the summit after a three day ascent. The next year, following Anker's heart attack at 5800m, Lama continued alone and was forced to retreat 250m below the summit.

Read more
 John2 29 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

How did he take the video? Presumably he carried a drone up with him.

pasbury 29 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Is the caption on the photo right; 'David Lama on the summit of Lunag Ri.'?

Looks awfully low down and he's right next to a big tent.

alexm198 29 Nov 2018
In reply to John2:

I've been wondering this as well. Quite cool if drones are now light and robust enough that you can carry them with you on such cutting edge ascents. And amazing the altitudes they can work at. Alternatively maybe a cameraman in base camp was flying it?

As a complete aside, isn't this news story a bit behind the curve? Planetmountain reported on this a month ago when it first broke. I know Lama's only just given more details, but a newsflash back at the end of October would've been good. I don't mean to be overly critical of the UKC news team -- just a suggestion!

alexm198 29 Nov 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Summits these days. They're not what they used to be!

John2 29 Nov 2018
In reply to alexm198:

Ah yes, I looked up the story of the Polish drone pilots who helped to rescue Rick Allen. They piloted the drone from K2 base camp. Incredible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...