UKC

NEWS: SOME PHOTOS: Stoney Get Together

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Sep 2010
John Allen and Steve Bancroft - What have they ever done on Grit? - at the Moon Pub in Stoney MIddleton, 4 kbJohn Allen and Steve Bancroft - What have they ever done on Grit? - at the Moon Pub in Stoney Middleton this weekend.

Around one hundred climbers descended on Stoney Middleton this weekend for a get together to celebrate the past and present of this iconic limestone crag in the Peak District.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57775

john arran 13 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like it was a good weekend, but from the photos it's striking how very male it all was. Was this because:

a) almost all of the good climbers of the day were male (the only prominent woman I recall from the early 80s Sheffield scene was Geraldine)
b) the women weren't interested in coming to a reunion
c) Mick has a particular interest in photos of men (and men's buns!)

Either way, I'd like to think the gender balance in the sport 30 years on is a lot more healthy - would I be right?
 Jon Read 13 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Brill. Looks like a chronic injuries and long-term fingery climbing cohort study just waiting to be done.
Craig Smith 13 Sep 2010
In reply to john arran:

Simple answer John, there were very few women in this scene.
The gender balance in climbing today is far better!

Regards,

Craig
 petemeads 13 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: As the first to arrive on Saturday, and for quite a while after, I wondered if the whole thing was going to be a damp squib - a very slow start. But people started arriving, the sun started to come out & climbing started to happen. It was brilliant to see all the old folks again, just a shame I could not stay for the session in the Moon. I'm sorry to have missed John & Steve (but I would not have recognised John anyway!). Thanks to UKC for the opportunity(and Mick Ward for the initial story)- see you all next year?
 BlownAway 13 Sep 2010
In reply to petemeads: Hi Pete! It was great to meet you on Saturday and to get some time to chat with you.

We did have a few damp periods, but all came good in the end thanks to the awning c/o Alan James.

It was a good job the rain stayed off while Ian Lonsdale was cooking the sausages or everyone would have gone home smoked like kippers.

Phil
 Michael Ryan 13 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

More names added - thanks Neil Foster. Please, if you were there and weren't on the list could you add your name here.

Also

Thanks to Wild Country for supplying gear for prizes. You made these lads even happier.

Can you post your full names so I can caption the photo?

Mick
Beta Climbing Designs 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hi Mick - didnt see my or pail Nilands name on the list
Many thanks for organising a superb event. Despite the poor weather on Saturday I had a great time and a good laugh, with a lot of people I havent seen for years
Paul Niland from Sterling Ropes had a brilliant time too and its always good to hear it from a Stoney fist timer - 'the routes look really great and the ones I did had some excellent climbing' - should he have gone to SpecSavers. Of course not becasue it if completely true

Nice one Ritchie and Wild Country for your great input and support
 Michael Ryan 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Beta Climbing Designs:

there now
 gingerwolf 13 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: from left to right on the photo of the lads is Mark Rankine and James Oswald - the other two lads are friends of their's from sheffield
Cheers for the weekend Mick
Tom
 gingerwolf 13 Sep 2010
In reply to TomBond: and it was James that took the whipper on minus 10
Derbyshire Ben 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Ben Tye, Nick Galpin and Brian Hall (Sunday only)
Phil Baker (Sat and Sun)

Someone (Alex I think?) took some good photos of Nick leading Padme on Sunday afternoon in the sunshine.
 galpinos 13 Sep 2010
In reply to TomBond:

Do you not get a mention for your whipper Tom?

(It's Nick btw, I was on Padme when you were clocking up airmiles)
 gingerwolf 13 Sep 2010
In reply to galpinos: haha, unfortunately, Nick, it was only us that saw it, well, you guys, all i saw was rock flashing before my eyes!
and by then, Nick Colton and Mick had left!!
 Mick Ward 13 Sep 2010
In reply to TomBond:

Hi Tom, it was great climbing with Nick and you. But, bloody hell, the minute I disappear, you have a whipper and I miss out! I mean, how fair is that?

Mick
 gingerwolf 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ward: haha, yea, mick, i was on Om, pumped to buggery at the top, tried placing a wire but couldn't so carried on, and went right at the top instead of left to the big jug and fell
all my wires ripped apart from a Rock 4 which stopped me about 2m from the ground!
pretty close call!!
But yea, nice to meet you and good climbing with you too!
where did you disappear to on Sunday?
Cheers
Tom
 mark20 13 Sep 2010
Mark Rankine, James Oswald, Sam Bennet, Ollie Burrows.
Cheers
 Alex Ekins 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Derbyshire Ben:
Yes I took some pics, sent one to Mick so it might appear on UKC soon. Also got a pic of the end result of the plummet next door.
Alex E
 James Oswald 13 Sep 2010
In reply to TomBond:
"haha, yea, mick, i was on Om, pumped to buggery at the top, tried placing a wire but couldn't so carried on, and went right at the top instead of left to the big jug and fell"
Sounds pretty much like my fall. My gear held though!!
James
 Old_Times 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I was there, Dave Unwin (not to my knowledge on any photo. Sorry to have missed Bob Dearman.
 Crank 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Steve Kirman (Lindsey CC):

It must have been a very dry weekend. Looks like the photographed climber holds his head back and mouth open to catch drips of water from the overhang above!
 clochette 13 Sep 2010
In reply to john arran: I think your memory might have failed you as Geraldine was certainly not alone - just perhaps the most vocal?
 nigel baker 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Got there on Sunday....Nigel Baker and Brian Rossiter...AAh...happy days ...It's polished, but no worse than in the seventies!!!!!..Good effort to all that organised it!!
astley007 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ward:
Hi Mick,
You disappeared on Sunday??
Yep it was typical Tom, poor gear, although he says bad belaying!!!
Put it in and go for it!!!..remember those days many years ago???
Unfortunately, Derbyshire Ben shouted go left for jug!! and as it was not in "yuf txt spk...yo diddly bro or sumfink lik dat" he went right!!!!!
Main reason for message..next time you are up "norf" drop us a line..plenty of room for you to stay, and take you best bouldering crag in world..Longridge!!! lol
Here from you soon??
Nick
astley007 13 Sep 2010
In reply to alexekins: is that the end plummet of Om, you mean?
astley007 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Steve Kirman (Lindsey CC): I'm pretty sure that is Masa, the japanese guy that I met at the weekend
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=47754
is his profile
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Sep 2010
In reply to nigel baker:

Remember the day?

What was it

Bubbles
Pickpocket
Wee Doris
Bitterfingers
Our Father
Scoop Wall
Medusa
Gesemeni

or some thing like that!!

Chris
 James Oswald 13 Sep 2010
In reply to astley007:
Yes, that's definitely Masa.
James
 Mick Ward 13 Sep 2010
In reply to astley007:
> (In reply to Mick Ward)

> Unfortunately, Derbyshire Ben shouted go left for jug!! and as it was not in "yuf txt spk...yo diddly bro or sumfink lik dat" he went right!!!!!

Classic! I started climbing with a guy called Mickey Rooney, who got someone to write 'right' and 'left' on his jeans, just so as he'd be sure which was which when he was pissed. Mickey became... wait for it... a bank manager. < Shudders >

Om was always the piglet of that lot, especially when given HVS 5b, which it definitely ain't. So innocuous. So enticing. You'd merrily solo up to that top break only to think, "Oh shit!" Then, as Tom found out, the fun would start.

Had to scarper early and probably missed brilliant weather. But, as Arnie said, "I'll be back!" So much still to do oop North.

Will definitely be in touch. Was great to catch up with you and meet Tom. How long before we're relegated to belayers?

All best wishes,

Mick

James Oswald 13 Sep 2010
In reply to astley007:
"Yep it was typical Tom, poor gear, although he says bad belaying!!!"

He blamed the rock when I spoke to him about it!
James
 Ian Jones 14 Sep 2010
In reply to clochette:
> (In reply to john arran) I think your memory might have failed you as Geraldine was certainly not alone - just perhaps the most vocal?

Hit the nail square on the head there didn't you?!

Christine Crawshaw, Bonny Masson, Gill Price, Gill Lawrence and Gill Kent were activists for years. But generally it was a Babe - Free Zone.

peter beal 14 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Mick, I was a sometime visitor to Stoney in 85-86 . A very different era in climbing for sure. I found the strength I got from TR efforts on Helmut Schmidt and Scarab very helpful once I got back to the States. Would really love to get back to the UK and Peak in particular.
 masa-alpin 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Steve Kirman (Lindsey CC): Thanks Steve for posting the photo. I look nervous before the crux
And thank you VERY much, Mick and the organisers/sponsors of this event!!
Personally traditional bivvy up on Windy Ledge (have to be done!) and onsight ascent of Scoop Wall (despite the stuffed stomach...) certainly made this a memorable weekend for me!

I have uploaded a few photos to UKC. The entire collection of the Reunion weekend with full resolution is found in my Flickr page:
http://flickr.com/gp/alpiniste/k2M514

Have fun, Masa
 Ropeboy 15 Sep 2010

Bill Briggs was there too (there is a picture of him starting the 2nd/traverse pitch of Froth in Masa's Flikr page) and I'm sure I noticed Robin Barker about the place.

It was really nice to be able to drive to the foot of the climbs again!

J
 Mick Ward 16 Sep 2010
In reply to masa-alpin:

Hi Masa,

Thanks for sticking these photos up. I brought a camera and forgot to use it! Good effort on Scoop Wall. There are easier E2s - millions of them. Hope to climb with you next time.

All best wishes,

Mick
 masa-alpin 16 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ward: Thank you, Mick!
I am going to Froggatt this Saturday (and perhaps somewhere on Sun, depending on the weather). You are welcome to join us! Or maybe a guided tour in your home ground(?) Stoney one day would be great It is still very underexplored for me.
Hope to see you soon.
All the best, Masa
 Richard J 19 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Sorry to revive this thread after everyone else has forgotten about it but I'd like to add my thanks to Rockfax and the BMC for organising this event. It was great to see a bit more traffic on Stoney than usual, and I enjoyed my tea and burger.

I spent a lot of time at Stoney in my youth, especially around 1979-80 (quite apart from having lived here for the last twelve years). I wasn't part of the Stoney scene; I was bit too young, too shy, and too crap a climber. But I spent what seems looking back like weeks in the Mineshaft cave (never liked Windy Ledge - the sun wakes you up too early), and I remember some great times in the climbers' apocalyptic vision of the wasteland with people like Neil Buttle, Billy McKee, Alastair Nelson and Mark Miller (the latter two sadly no longer with us).

The weekend also reminded me that I've got a couple of the climbing pictures from the cafe, which I fished out of a skip during one of its changes of ownership. I'm not sure what to do with them - unfortunately they aren't in great condition, being a bit faded and stained. Maybe I should ask Claire in the Moon if she's interested. Which brings me on to the best bit of last weekend; it was a great saturday night in the Moon, lots of people and a great friendly atmosphere. It was a pleasure to meet the two legendary Micks, Ryan and Ward. As the Moon is my local I only wish it was like that more often. Time to see more climbers there!
 BlownAway 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Richard J:

Hi Richard

Claire would really like to get a wall started of climbing photos, and I'm sure she'd love to have those particular photos, which are after all part of Stoney Middleton history. I've been looking for those photos for some time now and I'm amazed and pleased they've finally turned up - good on ya for taking them out of that skip!

Phil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...