UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Stanage - Britain's Most Popular Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 18 Jun 2010
[Right Unconquerable, 3 kb]Gritstone local and professional photographer Adam Long takes us on a quick tour of Stanage - the queen of grit.

We get route recommendations, all the info a visiting climber needs, plus of course a set of absolutely stunning photographs.

What are you waiting for?!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2526

Chris the Tall 18 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:
"stretches for over a mile"

Technically this is correct, but a bit of an understatement !

Good article, great pics !

Can we start a campaign to ban the suffix "Edge" - it's unnecessary and almost as annoying as Mount Snowdon or Pendle Hill (or the Peaks.....)
Gorrilla 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Good article, stanage really needs talking up, no one ever goes there..........

Gorgeous pictures.

jcm
 Adam Long 18 Jun 2010
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> "stretches for over a mile"
>
> Technically this is correct, but a bit of an understatement!

Hmm, I didn't write that sentence - blame the editor!
 DaveFidler 18 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: "No other grit edge has an arete to rival Archangel"

Masters Edge?
 billb 18 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Stanage's got nothing on winspit quarry!

It is Stanage Edge and Pendle Hill according to OS.
 Adam Long 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Gorilla:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Good article, stanage really needs talking up, no one ever goes there..........

Funnily enough, I was up at Stanage End last night and for the first time in my life it was actually busy - ten or twelve parties. Not sure my quip of 'christ - its like Stanage up here!' amused anyone but myself though.
 Will Hunt 18 Jun 2010
In reply to DaveFidler: I haven't done Master's Edge but I doubt any arete climb could be as perfect as Archangel. Its astounding how pure that line is. Until the break its just you, the arete, friction and your demons.
 Adam Long 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Will Hunt:

Quite. Master's edge is quarried and reliant on crimps and shotholes. Archangel is just one big hold, a piece of natural sculpture.
 Fredt 18 Jun 2010

I've never measured and added up the climbing sections, but I've always thought of Stanage as four miles long. And I'd be pretty confident that there was more rock than not.
 Michael Gordon 18 Jun 2010

I'd agree that Stanage deserves the title 'Queen of Grit' but the best Britain has to offer? Er...... nope
 Chris Shorter 18 Jun 2010

Tut-tut! Left Unconquerable isn't a Brown route. Tom Probert 1949.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Fredt:

According to Google Earth it is 3.1 miles, following the escarpment, from the Cowper Stone, to End Slab. Not sure what % 0f that is cliff, maybe >50%?

Chris
 Adam Long 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Maybe 60 or 70% in the southern half, probably less than 30% north of the Causeway.
 Chris the Tall 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:
How far do you make it from Suzanne to Dover's Wall, which is pretty much continous
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Jun 2010

Not much over a quarter of a mile - which doesn't seem much!

Also I would guess High Neb to End Slab is only 10% routes.

Chris
 stewieatb 18 Jun 2010
In reply to brt:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> It is Stanage Edge and Pendle Hill according to OS.

The OS think Esk Buttress is Dow Crag, and think the Eric Byne campsite is about 400 yards away from where it really is and on the wrong side of the farm track. Take a look at the naming bit in the article - Stanage is a contraction of Stone Edge, so saying Stanage Edge is saying Stone Edge Edge.
In reply to stewieatb:

The contraction has attained it's own suffix. It matters not.
 Graeme Hammond 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Adam Long:

there was a club meet at stanage end last night but it is usually deserted and a great place for some solitary evening solos
 James Oswald 18 Jun 2010
In reply to DaveFidler:
In reply to UKC Articles: "No other grit edge has an arete to rival Archangel"

Equilibrium or Wizard ridge?
 1234None 18 Jun 2010
In reply to James Oswald:

I take it you've done all 3 of them then?
 jamiev 18 Jun 2010
In reply to 1234None:

excellent photographs
 James Oswald 18 Jun 2010
In reply to 1234None:
Of course
James
 Michael Hood 20 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris Shorter:
>
> Tut-tut! Left Unconquerable isn't a Brown route. Tom Probert 1949.

I thought Probert's ascent was under question; since he didn't remember it himself.

Will Hunt 20 Jun 2010
In reply to James Oswald:
Read above. Difficulty does not equate directly into quality or pureness of line.
 simes303 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Michael Gordon:
>
> I'd agree that Stanage deserves the title 'Queen of Grit' but the best Britain has to offer? Er...... nope

I would have to say that its not even good for a grit crag. Yes it's long but so what? Ive never understood why people go on about it so much. No way is it better than Burbage South, Froggatt, Curbar, Millstone etc etc.

Michael Gordon 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to James Oswald)
> Read above. Difficulty does not equate directly into quality or pureness of line.

I don't think he mentioned difficulty? Surely Equilibrium is one of THE great arete lines. It's nails but so what?
 gribble 21 Jun 2010
In reply to simes303:

You forgot to add Yarncliffe.
 davidwright 21 Jun 2010
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to brt)
> [...]
>
> The OS think Esk Buttress is Dow Crag, and think the Eric Byne campsite is about 400 yards away from where it really is and on the wrong side of the farm track. Take a look at the naming bit in the article - Stanage is a contraction of Stone Edge, so saying Stanage Edge is saying Stone Edge Edge.

Yes and Pendle hill actually means hill hill hill if you breakdown the entomology. It doesn't matter, all it shows is that the "age" is no longer recognised as meaning edge but the feature is still recognised. "Stanage" has been used to name things around the edge so the edge its self now needs the suffix. Just as pendle hill is used to distinguish the hill from the town despite it being an entomological tautology.
TimS 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to Will Hunt)
> [...]
>
> Surely Equilibrium is one of THE great arete lines. It's nails but so what?

The big ledge kind of spoils it a bit eh? Compared to the route company it keeps at Burb South it's not all that impressive IMHO.

Great article Adam.
 pneame 21 Jun 2010
Great essay, good selection of pics.
Thanks
 alicia 21 Jun 2010

This is very cruel to people who have recently moved away from Sheffield! Great photos.
 Michael Gordon 21 Jun 2010
In reply to TimS:
> (In reply to Michael Gordon)
> [...]
>
> The big ledge kind of spoils it a bit eh?

Maybe. Looks stunning above that though!

Chris the Tall 21 Jun 2010
In reply to davidwright:
> (In reply to stewieatb)
> [...]
>
> Yes and Pendle hill actually means hill hill hill if you breakdown the entomology. It doesn't matter, all it shows is that the "age" is no longer recognised as meaning edge but the feature is still recognised. "Stanage" has been used to name things around the edge so the edge its self now needs the suffix. Just as pendle hill is used to distinguish the hill from the town despite it being an entomological tautology.

There's a town called Pendle ? When was that built, cos it certainly wasn't there 25 years ago !

And in another 25 years the newspapers will be calling it Mount Pendlehill

Stanage is the Edge, no suffix required

(oh god I'm turning into Al....)

ericinbristol 21 Jun 2010
In reply to davidwright:

entomology = study of insects
Etymology = study of origins of words
 Jonny2vests 22 Jun 2010
In reply to simes303:
> (In reply to Michael Gordon)
> [...]
>
> I would have to say that its not even good for a grit crag. Yes it's long but so what? Ive never understood why people go on about it so much. No way is it better than Burbage South, Froggatt, Curbar, Millstone etc etc.

Would be nice to hear you justify that. I'm a big fan of all of those crags, but Stanage has class and bags of it, more so than even Millstone, which I am loath to admit.

Maybe you need to go there on a quite weekday evening.

Jonny2vests 22 Jun 2010
In reply to Eric Herring:
> (In reply to davidwright)
>
> entomology = study of insects
> Etymology = study of origins of words

Lol, maybe he's studied the insects on Pendle Hill Eric

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...