UKC

NEWS: Steph Davis Free Solos the Diamond Three Times

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2007
On September 3, Steph Davis realized her dream of free soloing Pervertical Sanctuary (IV 5.10c) on the Diamond, Longs Peak (14,255') in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado.

The Diamond is one of the most revered alpine walls in North America; its 900 feet of vertical and overhanging terrain allo...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Enty 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Hey, hope you know what's going to happen here Mick......................

The Ent ™
OP Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Hey, hope you know what's going to happen here Mick......................

I hope not Ents.

Seems Steph Davis has achieved a Derek Hersey on the Diamond. Way impressive.

Let's see....but what has she done on Grit?

Men have done more impressive things.....is this really news?

Corrrr.....She's hot.

But she was wearing sticky rubber climbing shoes? That's aid!

Inspiring stuff. Would love to climb on the Diamond....just the Casual Route will do.

When are you free? Fancy a trip?
 TobyA 16 Oct 2007

> Let's see....but what has she done on Grit?
>
> Men have done more impressive things.....is this really news?
>
> Corrrr.....She's hot.
>
> But she was wearing sticky rubber climbing shoes? That's aid!

You should copy and save that Mick, and then automatically paste it in after every news post just to save the moaners time.
 Null 16 Oct 2007
> On September 3, Steph Davis realized her dream

I had the pleasure of meeting her earlier this year: seemed a very nice person, open and friendly, with just a hint of melancholy about her, just like her autobiography, which is certainly worth a read.

Chris F 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Would love to do the casual route too, everythnig else looks a bit hard. It's an amazing piece of rock.
 Enty 16 Oct 2007

Where did that last post go? I was getting pretty excited about the fall out from that one.

The Ent ™
OP Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Enty:

I deleted it and gave him a wrap round the knuckles.
banned profile 74 16 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> I hope not Ents.
>
> Seems Steph Davis has achieved a Derek Hersey on the Diamond. Way impressive.
>
> Let's see....but what has she done on Grit?
>
> Men have done more impressive things.....is this really news?
>
> Corrrr.....She's hot.
>
> But she was wearing sticky rubber climbing shoes? That's aid!
>
> Inspiring stuff. Would love to climb on the Diamond....just the Casual Route will do.
>
> When are you free? Fancy a trip?

proper llf,add to that,had she top roped it first

WillinLA 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Would love to do the casual route too, everythnig else looks a bit hard. It's an amazing piece of rock.

We got within 2 pitches of the top of the Casual Route this summer before the lightning came in and we had to bail - heartbreaker. That's the trouble with the Diamond - most of the routes aren't that long but the thunderstorms come in by 2pm (at the latest) every day. Oh well, next summer...

BTW Chris, Pervertical Sanctuary is considered by those in the know to be not that much harder than the Casual Route, just a bit of a longer thrutch on the crux: it is a bit looser in places though.
Also, depending on which variant you take the Yellow Wall is quite doable for any Diamond aspirant.

Will

Enty 16 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]

>
> When are you free? Fancy a trip?

I'll need 18 months warning and preparation. We'll have to include an El Cap route though.

The Ent ™

I'm intrigued by the suggestion in the blog below that Alpinist link that these routes get soloed several times a year.

Is that really true? Anyone?

jcm
 Tom Briggs 17 Oct 2007
In reply to WillinLA:
> (In reply to Chris F)
> [...]
>
> We got within 2 pitches of the top of the Casual Route this summer before the lightning came in and we had to bail - heartbreaker. That's the trouble with the Diamond - most of the routes aren't that long but the thunderstorms come in by 2pm (at the latest) every day. Oh well, next summer...

That's what impresses me about soloing on this wall. It's notorious for thunderstorms and the fact that you can't see them coming in from the west. I've got mates who've tried a couple of times to climb on the Diamond and both times they've been stormed off. I did a combo route on the face a couple of years ago and although it's not very big by alpine standards and the rock is really good, there is a bit of a spooky feel to it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...