UKC

ARTICLE: Sunset and Sunrise at Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 Jan 2019
Stanage SunsetStanage is everything I accomplished and everything I failed to do. Tonight I'm making amends. Life is about saying 'yes' more often. Even if it takes nearly 30 years.

Matthew Hargreaves reflects on memories of years gone by as he spends a night at Stanage with his young son...

Read more
 RogerG 02 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

really nice Matthew, thank you

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Jan 2019

An excellent and evocative read,

Chris

profitofdoom 02 Jan 2019

Great article, thanks

deepsoup 02 Jan 2019

Lovely.

DerwentDiluted 02 Jan 2019

"For a man who likes his scones buttered" that gets a like!

Carl Smethurst 02 Jan 2019

Great to see this 'in print' at last - I was lucky enough to get a sneak preview via a bit of proof reading. Evocative and familiar to anyone who has grown up with Stanage as an ever-present backdrop to their climbing life.

We need more Matt!

steveriley 02 Jan 2019

I’m tickled that other people are daft enough to carry around 30 year old niggles. The monkeys on our back won’t stop laughing eh

ChrisBrooke 03 Jan 2019

Lovely writing. Really enjoyed that. I hope to do the same with my kids when they're a bit older.

Particularly enjoyed: "ate granary bread that needed a bread knife to make it work"

alan moore 03 Jan 2019

Loved that.

full stottie 03 Jan 2019

Nice article, brought back good memories of 3-day wild camping adventures in the Lakes with my son when he was 9. Thirty years on now and he has to carry the rope and all the gear when we go on a climbing trip, even for short approaches. Hope you have as long a climbing partnership as a Dad as I have had. Best days, its a privilege.

Dave

BrendanO 03 Jan 2019

Awww. I'm not a Dad, and I've never climbed at Stanage, but that was very lovely.

Thanks.

kaiser 03 Jan 2019

Is the author a  fan of Philip Larkin I wonder? 

Various bits of this remind me (in a good way) of the style and cadence of some of his poetry, "Dockery and Son" in particular comes to mind 

Darron 04 Jan 2019

Teriffic - I’m motivated to take the grandchildren out now!

simes303 04 Jan 2019

I've spent quite a few nights in that cave, it's lovely, but can get really cold if the wind is in the wrong direction. It can turn into a freezing whirlwind in there.

Most times I've slept there we've been woken up in the night by the warden/ranger whatever he is, demanding to know who we are, when we're leaving, ordering us to make sure we leave no litter etc. He doesn't seem very friendly.

Post edited at 15:23
 deepsoup 04 Jan 2019
In reply to simes303:

> He doesn't seem very friendly.

He's retired now, but remains an absolute star, albeit possibly a bit gruff on first acquaintance.  Hopefully you can cut him a bit of slack if you bear in mind that he's picked up a *lot* of shite that people have left behind over the years.

It's my one slight reservation about this lovely article - like geo-tagging photos and posting on social media (this site definitely qualifies as 'social media' btw) about certain bothies and wild-camping areas.  It's lovely for people who might not otherwise have found them to be able to go there, but the downside is that some places are under quite a lot of pressure already and it only takes one bawbag to spoil it for everybody.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Jan 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

I'm not convinced they (or simes303) stopped in the 'real' `Robin Hood's Cave - I'm saying no more

Chris

deepsoup 04 Jan 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Sssh!

simes303 05 Jan 2019

What a ridiculous thing to say. How can you possibly have any idea where I stayed?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jan 2019
In reply to simes303:

> What a ridiculous thing to say. How can you possibly have any idea where I stayed?

Because you said it 'gets windy' and the warden popped into see you. That sounds like the big open roofed in area with the through tunnel, rather than the 'proper' Robin Hood's Cave,

Chris

pneame 05 Jan 2019

My initial thought was "Stanage? Yawn"

But that's a lovely bit of writing and had me smiling all the way through. It just encapsulates everything that makes climbing great so well. 

Thanks!

simes303 06 Jan 2019
In reply to pneame:

I'm with you on "Stanage? Yawn". The least interesting of all the gritstone crags.

The story was great though.

simes303 06 Jan 2019

> Because you said it 'gets windy' and the warden popped into see you. That sounds like the big open roofed in area with the through tunnel, rather than the 'proper' Robin Hood's Cave,

> Chris

There's no open roof or through tunnel where we've stayed and I didn't say the warden "popped in". I said he woke us. And I didn't say "it gets windy", I said it "can get really cold if the wind is in the wrong direction. It can turn into a freezing whirlwind in there.".  Most times I've slept there it's been pretty still inside.

Si.

Post edited at 19:03
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jan 2019

Fair enough, I was wrong,

Chris

simes303 06 Jan 2019

...Or not...

wbo 07 Jan 2019
In reply to simes303: Least interesting?  Familiarity breeds contempt?

simes303 07 Jan 2019
In reply to wbo:

> Least interesting?  Familiarity breeds contempt?

I've been to Froggatt, Millstone, Burbage valley, Staffordshire gritstone etc much more than Stanage and I've never thought any of those were dull.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...