UKC

EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS: Team America On The Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 26 Nov 2008
UKC have a series of three films featuring Team America: Alex Honnold, Matt Segal and Kevin Jorgeson in action on the grit.

• Film 1: Kevin (first) then Alex climbing The Promise (E10 or E8)

• Film 2: Kevin makes the first Ground Up ascent of Parthian Shot (E9 6c)

• Film 3: Team America climb End of the Affair (E8 6c) (watch out for that no-hands rest!)

We will be publishing Film 2 at 9am tomorrow (Thursday) morning and film 3 at 9am on Friday morning.

Watch the first film - The Promise:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45471
 willackers 26 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Brilliant effort!

How an earth did The Promise ever get E10!?!

Silly grading!
 john howard 1 26 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Nice one!Fair play to Kevin and Alex-amazing effort, whoever got the footage and you guys at ukc, cheers, I appreciate you guys getting the clips, you really seem to be on the ball at the moment, keep up the good work.
 Silum 26 Nov 2008
In reply to willackers:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> Brilliant effort!
>
> How an earth did The Promise ever get E10!?!
>
> Silly grading!

seriously
 willackers 26 Nov 2008
In reply to Silum:

Yep

It's an amazing effort for them both to repeat it and for it to get climbed in the first place but E10?

I'd rather try that than EOTA or some other E8's there is to go at!

E10's a massive grade!
 JLS 26 Nov 2008
In reply to willackers:

>"How an earth did The Promise ever get E10!?!"

What grade did it feel like to you? I might be tempted to give it a go if you thought it was around the E1/E2 mark...
 teddy 26 Nov 2008
Nice report, however one innaccuracy - Ben Moon gave Equilibrium French 8c in 1993 and not 8b+. It was later downgraded by others.
xyz 26 Nov 2008
In reply to teddy:

I thought they kicked their trip off with a rapid ascent of New Statesment arguably the best line of the lot!
 Silum 26 Nov 2008
In reply to willackers: sorry, i was a agreeing with you.

As in, seriously, theirs now way looking at the route it could possibly be E10, it looks like a boulder problem number 1, and from the shot of alex bounce testing the gear... it looks pretty bomber
In reply to xyz:
> I thought they kicked their trip off with a rapid ascent of New Statement arguably the best line of the lot!

Yes, the video footage of that was very dark and grey, and filmed from a static position quite a distance away. Not a great bit of footage although a very impressive ascent never-the-less.

Alan
 Chazz 26 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Its interesting watching that footage in comparison to the first ascent on Committed. Without all the drama and suspense created by the Hot Aches team it is shown for what it is - an inspiring line with really nice looking moves.
 willackers 26 Nov 2008
In reply to Silum:

Thanks.

Technically it looks really hard but compared to lots of other routes with a lower E grade it's just not as serious.

Amazing line what ever the grade is!
 snoop6060 26 Nov 2008

Good report. Glad you mentioned James Pearson, as despite all this saga over down-grades he is still a f*ckin good climber who has set some great lines.

As Kevin states, Equilibrium is hard, very serious and JP ticked. Respect.
 Michael Ryan 26 Nov 2008

Music's great as well, especially through my sound system.
 Toccata 26 Nov 2008

On the DVD it was made to look like a route rather than the boulder problem it appears to be here. I wonder if JP will get fed up with the flak and become a runner like Rich S too?
 orge 26 Nov 2008
Just had a quick compare between the footage here and on Committed. It doesn't appear that Kevin/Alex are using a drastically different sequence to JP - same hand for the slopey edge at the crux. They might be doing something subtley different with their feet to get more reach though - Kevin seems to get his higher.

Kevin, in particular, makes it look like a path!

Great effort guys.

J
In reply to Toccata: Boxer first Shirley?
In reply to orge: Kevin undercuts and gets his foot higher before going for the sloper. Alex looked like he used the JP method.

All three make it look easy on the lead.
 DrGav 26 Nov 2008
In reply to Richard Bradley:

One comment stands out though - Alex thought Promise was two E grades harder than End of the Affair.
Fat Elvis 26 Nov 2008
In reply to DrGav:
> (In reply to Richard Bradley)
>
> One comment stands out though - Alex thought Promise was two E grades harder than End of the Affair.

Uhhh...

I met up with them at a very windy Curbar, shortly after Alex had made a flash ascent of The End Of The Affair. In line with what I have said above, he was incredibly modest, and un-phased by this very news worthy ascent and told me, without a hint of snobbery or cockiness, that he felt the route was E6!

http://jamespearsonclimbing.blogspot.com/

The Pylon King 26 Nov 2008

Yes Good film

It would be so much better without the music though and just leave the sound from the footage with maybe a few tones or something more transparent.

Why do all climbing films now have the stock music soundtrack?
In reply to The Pylon King: watched Dosage V tother day and found the music on that annoying. I put it down to old age though.
 Monk 27 Nov 2008

Wow, that was some impressively controlled climbing.

I think JP is getting a fairly unfair bashing on these boards at the moment. The climbing looks seriously hard and these americans are awesome climbers, not just some unknown punters. They are up there with the best in the world so you would expect them to climb our hardest routes.
 Owen W-G 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Fat Elvis:

Has he done much at E6? You get the impression from the news that they spent the whole month on E8+. Did they get ticking (presumably solo) of the classic 3* routes at E6 and under?
 teddy 27 Nov 2008
In reply to teddy:
> Nice report, however one innaccuracy - Ben Moon gave Equilibrium French 8c in 1993 and not 8b+. It was later downgraded by others.

Hi I wondered if it might be possible to amend this in your report? I remember reading about Moon's 8c grade for 'Yoghurt Arete' on toprope in a 'Rock Notes' report in High Magazine in 1993 (showing my age....haha!)

Thanks a lot.
Ted Kingsnorth

Carl Smethurst 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Monk:
>
>The climbing looks seriously hard and these americans are awesome climbers, not just some unknown punters. They are up there with the best in the world so you would expect them to climb our hardest routes.

Yes, but what have they ever done on g... ..Oh hang on a minute...
 Michael Ryan 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> The climbing looks seriously hard and these americans are awesome climbers, not just some unknown punters. They are up there with the best in the world so you would expect them to climb our hardest routes.

You keep hearing this. This so-called 'expectation'.

Before Team America came over, very few UK climbers had heard of Kevin Jorgeson, Alex Honnold and Matt Segal (a trio amongst many talented American climbers who are progressing climbing).

We'd run several news reports about Alex's solos and Kevin's highballing at Bishop and Hueco.

But very few UK climbers actually knew how good they were, until now that is.... now that they have performed on our hallowed gritstone.

I'm sure many, disregarding the inevitable and expected ; o ) grade debates (very peculiar to the UK because of our complex sysytem)..... are absolutely inspired and motivated by what they achieved on such a short trip.

Mick

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2008
In reply to teddy:
>
>
> Hi I wondered if it might be possible to amend this in your report? I remember reading about Moon's 8c grade for 'Yoghurt Arete' on toprope in a 'Rock Notes' report in High Magazine in 1993...

Come on, Ted. That really is nonsense!

You know you should never rely on such works of pure fiction...

Neil
OP Jack Geldard 27 Nov 2008
In reply to teddy: Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info.

I accept that Ben said it was 8c at that time - I really have no idea (I was 12! However my OTE collection started with No. 38 in 1993, so I guess I should have got High instead), but it is generally regarded to be 8b/+ now, though the top-rope grade before Neil B led it was considered to be 8b+.

Personally I struggle to grade short grit-esque things with French grades anyway, and find bouldering grades much easier to interpret.

Here's a nice article covering Equilibrium from Neil B - with the 8b+ grade mentioned:

http://www.cragx.com/articles/issue10/grit_extreme/intr02.htm

Cheers, and thanks for the good posting.

Jack
 ericinbristol 27 Nov 2008

On sight solo of London Wall?! That's mind-boggling to me, especially having seen footage of Leo Houlding just barely managing it on lead.

teddy 27 Nov 2008

Great thanks for the link Jack, (I myself was a callow youth aged 14 at that time!) Yes it is 8b+ now, Moonie probably didn't use the best sequence.

I'm shocked Neil! I thought it was gospel!....only kidding
iron in the soul 02 Dec 2008
Good climb, great effort; but isn't 'bounce testing' the gear actually hanging on the rope? Surely it counts as a fall?
 Michael Ryan 02 Dec 2008
In reply to iron in the soul:
> Good climb, great effort; but isn't 'bounce testing' the gear actually hanging on the rope? Surely it counts as a fall?

"Good climb, great effort; but"...... always the but.

I'll repeat what Jack said before..... are you nuts???

Of course anyone in their right mind would bounce test a single piece of gear that is the only piece of gear on a climb.

John2 02 Dec 2008
In reply to iron in the soul: When he bouce tested the gear he started on the ground and finished on the ground. It was no more of a fall than when he walked to the crag.
iron in the soul 02 Dec 2008
If you call it an onsight, or a clean attempt then placing all your weight on the gear is a fall. Being on the ground just means the gear was pre placed. It is vastly different testing gear whilst on the lead to fully loading it whilst standing on the ground.

It seems to me that as the grades increase there is a different set of ethics applied. If the climb was HVS we would call backing off from the gear or jumping on the gear a fall, or at least a compromised ascent. Why, just because the grade is harder is it any different? Is there a general reduction in ethics just so we can bag higher grades? Would it be OK to say, "It is OK to pull up on the gear, you'd be mad not to because it is E10!"? As he was back on the ground, would it still be a clean ascent if once back on the ground he left the gear, went home for a kip and came back the next day?

I'm interested in what constitutes a clean ascent, I think it looks an awesome climb and climbing it in any style is a great thing but surely there is a continuum of ascent styles and swinging on the rope is less pure than it could be?
 Peakpdr 21 Dec 2008
In reply to willackers: HAVE YOU DONE IT ? if not how can you make a comment like that ? if you have then fair enough
 Fraser 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Monk)
>
> You keep hearing this. This so-called 'expectation'.
>
> Before Team America came over, very few UK climbers had heard of Kevin Jorgeson, Alex Honnold and Matt Segal ...

But Mick, don't you think it's not unreasonable to have a sort of "retro-expectation". Knowing now just how strong these 3 guys are, you wouldn't be surprised to have them succeed on some of our hardest routes. The fact that a fair few of these routes are almost high-ball problems (to them), doesn't take anything away from their achievements, but I would like to have seen them on TWOL or come up for a play on Echo Wall. To me, that would be much more impressive, but just for different reasons.

Makes you wonder just how many unknown climbers there are out there, just off the radar, sending very hard routes.
 MorganPreece 29 Dec 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Its a highball boulder problem, hehe!! good efort dude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...