UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Ten Days in the Barra Isles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Nov 2009
[FRI NIGHT VID: Ten Days in the Barra Isles, 4 kb]Here Andy Moles goes on a summer trip to the superb sea cliff destinations of Pabbay and Mingulay, Scotland.

His film shows the beauty and the tranquillity of the islands, and gives a feel for what a trip to the islands is all about, as well as showcasing some of the fantastic adventure routes that lie on the rocky coastlines.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=50215

Andy Moles 06 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

For anyone that's interested, there's another half to this video (no more climbing unfortunately, mostly just bad weather and banter!) you can find through my profile. Cheers!

Andy
 p3t3 06 Nov 2009
In reply to andy moles:

nice one Andy, looks like you had an awesome time
 McBirdy 06 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Nice vid - captures the essence of the adventure and the spirit of the islands. You were there in June/July by the looks of it?

A personal perspective is that the two islands are very diferent and very unique. I think it's a bit of a shame to chop and change between them.

You were obviously lucky with the weather! That, or you edited out the days of drizzle lurking in the tent eating too much and drooling over the guidebook...

Back again next year, hopefully...

Ben
 Matt Maynard 07 Nov 2009
In reply to Ben Darvill: Thanks for sharing your experiences. Looks like a wonderful place and I have wanted to go ever since I heard the first raving reviews. Who is going out there this year?
 Spike 07 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

great atmospheric vid, inspires me to head there sometmie. What are the travel arrangements like? (ferry from where, cost etc)

Cheers
In reply to Matt Maynard:

Me, if I can.
 Malcolm 07 Nov 2009
In reply to Spike:
Get a ferry from Oban to Castlebay on Barra, then
Donald Macleod is your man, runs Barra fishing Charters, Boat takes up to 12 people, he can give you a lift out there, switch islands mid week, then a lift back from 2nd island for £100 a head, works out as a very cheap trip. Get Gary Latters scottish rock vol 2, its got the best info in it.
Wicked place thouroughly recommended, but dont shout too loud about it!!
Malcolm
 Paul Atkinson 07 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: great vid and I loved the backing music. surely though there is near constant rain or am I just unlucky on the west coast and islands? I wouldn't dare commit a valuable climbing week to the gamble on the basis of past experience - and I've been going up there at least annually for 30 years+. when you get weather like that in the vid though there's nowhere in the world compares IMHO

P
 gethin_allen 08 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Interesting footage but I had to mute that awful drone in the background as my head was about to explode.
 Andy Moles 08 Nov 2009
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
> surely though there is near constant rain or am I just unlucky on the west coast and islands?

Hmm, maybe. We actually only had two or three properly sunny days and quite a few showery ones. Craic was good though (I'd recommend taking a party tent) and the rock dries very quickly. Others I've spoken to have had more or less perfect weather the whole time. Heading back there sometime in June again this year, psycht!

Cheers for the comments.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...