UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The 80's Birth of Extreme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Jul 2020
Paul Pritchard - The 80's Birth of Extreme

This week's Friday Night Video is a double bill of Alun Hughes films: The 80's Birth of Extreme: Parts 1 & 2.

Read more
 bensilvestre 18 Jul 2020
In reply to UKC News:

One of the best climbing / outdoors vids out there. The kayaking is the best bit

"It was scary, I wasn't in control, and it really really hurt" - Or something along those lines

Can I put a request out for Upside Down North Wales if anyone knows where to watch it. Haven't been able to find it since SteepEdge closed down

alex 18 Jul 2020
In reply to bensilvestre:

Good news.. Upside Down is coming to BMC YouTube pretty soon, so hang in there

PaulJepson 19 Jul 2020
In reply to UKC News:

The belaying for Liquid Amber! 

andybenham 22 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Was it common to lead belay with a munter hitch back then? 

jon 22 Jul 2020
In reply to andybenham:

I think maybe she was German, so in that case, yes. However the belay device de rigueur at that time in the UK was a fig 8 with the rope passed through the 8 but then simply clipped into the krab, not passed around the the device itself. Sounds dodgy, doesn't it, but I can't remember any accidents with it. I used it myself for years but quickly switched to a Grigri when they appeared.

PaulJepson 22 Jul 2020
In reply to jon:

I've never belayed with a munter myself (because I like my ropes too much) but presumably they're not self-locking enough to bin out slack with both hands on the live end? Hopefully the shot was just for the camera and didn't have a climber on an 8c on the end!

andrew ogilvie 22 Jul 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Anyone else notice that the music playing in the car at the very start of the Sron Ulladale video is Yo Mama by Frank Zappa - the music from the "Quarryman" section of Stone Monkey?

S Andrew 22 Jul 2020
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Couldn’t mayor out over the Runrig 😁

Sean Kelly 23 Jul 2020
In reply to jon:

> I think maybe she was German, so in that case, yes. However the belay device de rigueur at that time in the UK was a fig 8 with the rope passed through the 8 but then simply clipped into the krab, not passed around the the device itself. Sounds dodgy, doesn't it, but I can't remember any accidents with it.

The problem with that technique Jon is that it tended to put twists in the rope over time. Regarding using the Fof8 I can remember seeing Neville McMillan from the BMC Technical Committee showing me how easily it could break a karabiner gate when cross-loaded with only light body weight applied. The karabiner just snapped. I got myself a Sticht-plate shortly afterwards!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...