UKC

NEWS: The Big Island 8C for Ned Feehally

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Dec 2015
Ned Feehally on The Bg Island 8C, 3 kbWe reported last week that Ned Feehally had climbed The Island 8B+ in Fontainebleau, France - well now he's gone one step further to tick The Big Island 8C, an extension of the original problem first climbed by Vincent Pouchon which adds a couple of tricky moves to the start.

Read more
 stp 02 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort, especially given the fact you have to perform just in that small window of opportunity.

To give some perspective it would interesting to know how many ascents this has had.
 Adrien 02 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC News:

The Big Island is not "an extension to the original problem", it IS the original problem Vincent Pochon was working on when David Graham came along. He was showed the project and where it was supposed to start, but he decided to shun the first moves because he couldn't do them and started with his elbow resting on another boulder, claiming the first ascent. Very questionable. Pochon's beta is much more logical.
 jsmcfarland 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Adrien:

I'm sure there are plenty of lines around the world that didn't have sit starts because they were deemed too hard at the time. I really don't get your point.....
 Adrien 02 Dec 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

But the way David Graham shortened the thing is completely illogical, I mean he did an elbow-start (?) on a ledge (??) on which he put a crash-pad (???) for extra height. It's not a question of standing start versus sit-start, it's a standing start versus a half-standing, half-leaning start with a crash-pad (when local ethics dictates you should always start from the ground and not from a crash-pad). Even though a more logical line was already there. (Plus it's Dave Graham, surely he has put up enough 8Cs to be able to do the "proper" version.)
 Fiend 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Adrien:

Nit-picking drivel. DG pulled off the ground where he could, and the FA of The Big Island extended it to a more logical start. You don't see Ned slagging off The Island start so there's no need for you to bother.
 Adrien 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Fiend:

I'm sorry I thought nit-picking and discussions on "ethics" were the foundations on which UKC was built.

"Pulled off the ground where he could", exactly, well, except for the part where he pulled off a boulder and a crash-pad, that is.
In reply to UKC News:

Waddaaaage! Nice one Ned!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...