UKC

ARTICLE: The Drive to Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 Dec 2021

Jules McKim writes about shifting gears and his evolving motivation for climbing...

"Are climbing days what help us get through life, or are they life? I guess a bit of both. A day in the sun with friends doing great routes I've not done before will give me a glow that lasts weeks. In fact, no, that's not true, perhaps a few days at most. Always looking at the horizon, the next day, the next goal. My Al Alvarez rat is a big one, and he's hungry: he wasn't fed enough for a while and I feel the need to make up for lost time."

Read more

Oliver Hill 05 Dec 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article. We are all so unique, and so similar. How do you express those feelings of uniqueness, when so similar? By creating one's own world of beauty and meaning? Eliminating all outside that little, but huge, own globe. When you want to do something, it must be the most huge, if only for 5 minutes, a year: depending on hugeness and even greater things to surpass it.

john arran 05 Dec 2021

What a lovely read.

I really like the honesty, the contextual embracing of motivations that too often are dismissed, as though we were ever living in a binary world. 

I also like the diversity; the open acceptance that we get different things from being out (or in!) on different days, climbing different things with different people in different places. Such motivations and rewards simply cannot be summed up in just a sentence or two.

Why do I climb? Well, today...

treesrockice 23 Dec 2021

Wonderful ideas beautifully written.

Please write a whole book so i can read it all.

petemeads 23 Dec 2021

Sums it all up really nicely, thank you. I've still got Main Wall to do...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...