UKC

DIGITAL FEATURE: The Finest Crags in the UK & Ireland: Ilkley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 07 Dec 2017
The Strid Ilkley, 4 kbOverlooking the picturesque slopes of Wharfedale is a climbing destination of national significance. The distinctive Cow and Calf rocks, plus the secluded Rocky Valley, offer 278 routes on some of the finest Gritstone in the country. The variety of features on offer is mind-boggling, with protectable cracks, terrifying arêtes, technical walls and blind grooves lines all found amongst this gritstone playground.

Read more
 Simon Caldwell 07 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

S Crack at VS 4c is fair enough if you leave A Climb at its traditional grade of VDiff as there are 2 or 3 grades between them. But move A Climb up to HS and surely S Crack must be upgraded to at least HVS?

PS Beeline is captioned as HVS 6a in the photo, though correct at 5a in the text
 PaulTanton 07 Dec 2017
WTF! It’s crap
 Andy Moles 07 Dec 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:
Easy on. Clearly it's a countdown of the top 500...right?

Winky face, and all that.
Post edited at 17:27
 Will Hunt 07 Dec 2017

I was going to say something along the lines of "not even one of the finest crags in West Yorkshire"...
 Steve Wetton 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:

A small number of historically significant and fine looking routes..........amongst a load of chos! Great coffee though ????
 Bulls Crack 07 Dec 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

A better than average grit crag in Yorkshire

Certainly not one the best in the country
 Alex the Alex 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> A better than average grit crag in Yorkshire

which are the average ones?
 Simon Caldwell 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Presumably given the dislikes I'm a better climber than I thought and simultaneously a worse climber than I thought...
 Red Rover 08 Dec 2017

Is New Statesman now considered the first E9, as it's been upgraded and it was done before Indian Face?
 PaulTanton 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Andy Moles:
Nope, can’t agree. It’s got a couple of good death routes but not much for the average punter climber, HVS to E4. The only good thing about it is that you can see Almscliff.
The rock has that horrible glaze, it’s always cold, most of the routes are polished to feck.
Post edited at 15:04
 Andy Moles 08 Dec 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

You are mistaken sir. I've rechecked my list and it's right there at #498.

I won't be convinced otherwise until you list all the crags that are better.

And Stanage only counts as one.
 Tyler 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

> Is New Statesman now considered the first E9, as it's been upgraded and it was done before Indian Face?

Pretty sure NS was done late in 1987 and IF in Oct 1986
 Bulls Crack 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Rylstone, Eastby......Heptonstall etc

I'm not saying its a bad average!
 Steve Perry 09 Dec 2017

The 3rd page picture in that article really doesn't sell it as a "Finest Crag in the UK & Ireland"
 Fraser 09 Dec 2017

I've not climbed there but couldn't help but notice the amount of chalk on the holds in almost every photo, bearing in mind the 'chalk abuse' thread elsewhere on here.
 Goucho 09 Dec 2017

I'm looking forward to the next two in this series, featuring Den Lane and Wharton Main

Haven't climbed there as was green when I popped by but great article Mike. Fantastic routes/ pics.
 deacondeacon 17 Dec 2017

I've only been once and to be honest I wasn't blown away by it, but I really, really want to climb Shock Horror.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...