UKC

The Lakeland Eight Hundreds - An Ultra Challenge for the Next Generation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Fellrunner Norman Hadley sketches out a new, logically metric Lake District challenge route that only the very best could do in a day. Do you fancy being the first? Or perhaps you'd prefer to backpack it over several days...?

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

The route shown up High Stile is truly hideous. Apart from that it looks a nice line.

Norman Hadley 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Full moon addict:

Yes, FMA, it felt seriously sadistic marking out that section from an armchair.

ablackett 09 Jan 2023

Andy Berry’s Steve Parr Round was 2021, not 2003 as stated.

https://www.ultrarunnermagazine.co.uk/steve-parr-round-fkt-andy-berry/amp/

CosmicHobo 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Just been plotting this on strava, looks like a quality day out.

Did notice that the route pictured in the article suggests you take in Grasmoor and you mention it in the leg 7 description but it isn't on the list of 35 summits?

I think you might have included Helvellyn Lower Man on the list instead but I don't think this is a Wainwright. 

Happy to be told otherwise, would love to give the route a go whether its 35 or 36 summits anyway.

In reply to CosmicHobo:

Thanks for spotting that. It's my error since I added that summits list - I'm not au fait with what is and isn't a Wainwright but Grasmoor is a bit of an obvious mistake even for me

Norman Hadley 11 Jan 2023

(Niche Wainwrightnerd Point) HLM is identified in capital letters in views so very nearly counts as a separate fell.

Norman Hadley 11 Jan 2023
In reply to CosmicHobo:

Well spotted, CosmicHobo.

petegunn 12 Jan 2023

Does anyone know the record for the most Wainwright's in a day, either as a point to point or circular? 

Norman Hadley 12 Jan 2023
In reply to petegunn:

My guess would be 70, Pete, based on Kim Collison’s 78-peak run, with deductions for non-Wainwrights such as Broad Crag and Helvellyn Lower Man but adding in Knott Rigg, which seems to have been omitted from the tracker map.

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/kimlakes20/?fbclid=IwAR1JxReXo61G6qyYUZX_-s...

Norman Hadley 13 Jan 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Ah, yes, sorry about that. I saw 2003 next to his name on the Bob website but it looks like that's his BGR completion number, not a year.

Interesting idea. But I am definitely in the "backpack it over several days" category.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...