UKC

NEWS: The Millennium Arch 5.14 - 300ft Roof Crack by Wide Boyz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Oct 2016
Tom on Silence Of The Lambs, 5.13b, 4 kbTom Randall and Pete Whittaker have continued in their search for ludicrously long and difficult roof cracks at White Rim, Utah and have added another gem to their list: The Millennium Arch 5.14. At 300ft in length, the pair decided to approach the project as another of their inventive challenges to complete it in one push, rather than aiming to climb it as a trad route in good style and in pitches.

Read more
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing! I hadn't realised there was a figure in the big roof crack shot - gulp!

Chris
 nufkin 13 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

> At 300ft in length

What's that in European?
 duncan b 13 Oct 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> What's that in European?

7 London buses. We are leaving the EU you know.
 Goucho 13 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

The physical conditioning, drive and determination of these two, is as remarkable as the stunning routes they are putting up.

I'm trying to comprehend what they do, but I simply can't. Every hat I own, doffed in complete and total respect.
 GrahamD 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Aside from the sheer physical effort these routes look to take how on earth do you deal with being upside down for so long ?
abseil 14 Oct 2016
In reply to duncan b:

> 7 London buses...

That's 6 white vans after Brexit.

Seriously though, a 300-foot roof?! And I thought The Sloth looked* big.....

*looked. From the ground. I haven't climbed the damn thing. Too chicken.
 Toerag 14 Oct 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> What's that in European?

2x 50m rope lengths or thereabouts.
 GrahamD 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Toerag:

50m ropes aren't European. More like 70m or 80m ropes these days.
 JKW 14 Oct 2016
In reply to nufkin:
Just under 92metres !!!

stp 14 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Totally mental. Love to see some video of this stuff. Perhaps that's the next Wide Boys production. The previous two were both really good.

Presumably this is 14a as if it was much harder it would be a contender for the world's hardest crack.

I wonder how long before any of these routes get repeated. Must be some other strong masochists out there - somewhere? Then again they've really eked out their own special niche in the sport now so maybe not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...