UKC

ARTICLE: The Old-Timers who Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Feb 2019
Nanny CelieAs a video of a 99 year-old woman trying out climbing for the first time goes viral and some walls begin to offer free climbing for over 70s, we take a look at climbing into the twilight years...

Read more
 marsbar 19 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

My parents are currently pulling not amused  faces at me.  However I reckon if the grandchildren asked they might give it a go.  

Frank R. 19 Feb 2019

Very inspiring and nice article! Thank you

My current local wall has a pensioners-for-free policy as well - although mostly used by the old school climbers, many of whom do climb better than me

Fantastic article! Reminds me that my granddad is 81 this year and still extremely fit. He's a powerful inspiration to me as a young climber. His brother was the notorious prankster on the North Wales scene in the 60s and 70s, Al Harris. he is full of crazy stories of the old days, so much so he is yet to start repeating himself! That said, my mum is always encouraging me to record all these stories in a book of some sort but I don't know the first thing about interviewing. Would UKC be interested in interviewing him to reveal these stories and some lost climb history of the golden age?

Jim Nevill 20 Feb 2019

Oh if only... there are now too many of us old fossils still hauling our aching bones up indoor walls for it to be financially attractive to them. Anyway, I already save a fortune with my Freedom Pass, so I'm not complaining.

In reply to Southern Softie Sam:

Yes please! Send me an email.

Slap 21 Feb 2019

Yet another slightly patronising article about "the elderly", "seniors" etc. As someone who has climbed for 50 + years I'm a climber, not elderly, not senior.

tryshahunt 22 Feb 2019

It’s wonderful reading about us “female oldies” taking up climbing. Sadly the men do outnumber the women and I would love to see this change. I was introduced to climbing aged 62 and immediately loved it. I’m now nearly 71 and, as well as climbing on plastic, I do Sport and Trad, both in the UK and abroad. It’s opened up a new world to me. I’m slowly ticking off some of the great Classics! I love it.

Trysha 

BrianT 22 Feb 2019

Inspirational. Almost makes me want to get my stuff out of the loft (or wherever it is). I'm only 57!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...