UKC

ARTICLE: The Peak 'Classic Rock' Challenge by Bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 20 Jul 2022

In June, Wesley Cole and Will Gould climbed all of the Classic Rock routes in the Peak District in under 11 hours, cycling between crags. Wesley describes the motivation behind the challenge and their logistics...

12 routes, 17 pitches and 55k of cycling in 10 hrs 57 mins.

Read more

JoeCoxson 20 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great idea, good effort. 

From 5 mins on Google maps, if anyone is wondering what it would add on to get the last two Gritstone Classic Rock ticks (Parsons Chimney at Almscliffe, and Red Pencil at Pen-y-Ghent), you're looking at a total of about 220km cycling...

Probably a bit much for an extra 3 pitches, but would be a worthy 24hr challenge. Something for next year lads. 

Michael Hood 21 Jul 2022

Well done, it's nice to see a challenge that is achievable by normal mortals.

Except for the biking bit, this looks like a good way to have a grand day out - might give it a go, but I'll definitely be using a car between the crags.

TobyA 21 Jul 2022

It's funny that Will and Wesley decided to ride in climbing helmets, while last year when I did something similar we decided to climb in our bike helmets. https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/fat_tyres_and_quickdraws_mount...

We tried to design a route with as much "proper" mountain biking in it as possible which is why we were thinking that head protection was more likely to be needed for that than climbing!

DTurner 22 Jul 2022

You guys should write up Willy B's Welsh Classic rock round he recently did in sub 24hrs! 

Derek Ryden 22 Jul 2022
In reply to DTurner:

A few years ago, Libby Peter and A N Other did the Welsh Classis Rock ticks in a day, but no mention of this. Perhaps it's not on the public radar.

petegunn 22 Jul 2022
In reply to DTurner:

It also doesn't mention that Will actually has the record for the lakes round, just that Tom did a round.

In reply to Derek Ryden:

> A few years ago, Libby Peter and A N Other did the Welsh Classis Rock ticks in a day, but no mention of this. Perhaps it's not on the public radar.

Libby was partnered with Will Sim, and (perhaps quite sensibly) used a bike; however, they didn't do Will O' the Wisp. Still an amazing achievement, but a little different from what Will did due to omitting the outlier.

Post edited at 10:44
In reply to DTurner:

> You guys should write up Willy B's Welsh Classic rock round he recently did in sub 24hrs! 

I know we've exchanged messages about this already, but thought I'd reply for everyone else's benefit just to say that we're on it - there's just been a slight delay due to my being away on holiday over the last couple of weeks. Sorry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...