UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Phantom Line - Jugal Spire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Oct 2022

This week's Friday Night Video takes us to the Jugal Himal region of Nepal, where in May 2022, Paul Ramsden and Tim Miller climbed a major new route. The Phantom Line (ED+) takes a striking line up the 1200m high North West granite face of a previously unclimbed and unnamed 6563m peak.

Read more

Damo 29 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Nice work, great line.

"too much time on Google Earth"? Pfft! As if such a thing is possible...

For anyone who still has books and has a copy of The Shishapangma Expedition, this peak can be seen in one of the b&w panorama shots toward the back.

Gripped 29 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Nice work on the film and the extra effort of getting a bit of commentary while on the route, it is always great to see this.

I found a nice write up here too by Tim.......

https://alpinemag.com/phantom-line-jugal-spire-new-route-unclimbed-peak-sto...

Once you figure out where they acclimatised, from the write up, it is fairly straightforward to find the face on Google Earth. Though it would be nice with exploratory reports like this to have a long and latitude on them so I can go look more easily, as time spent flying around on my laptop around is always good!

In reply to UKC News:

Excellent stuff Tim

davkeo 29 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one! What a great trip & line. Really enjoy the commentary & even more so for the lack of hearing ‘yaaa buddy’ every 30 seconds.  Although to hear Paul Ramsden say those words int northern lilt would have been entertaining. 

olddirtydoggy 30 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid. I often wonder about the multiple abseils and how that works. Often in the UK we climb a route and walk off but how do they get down? Do they leave an entire rack behind? Hook the rope over boulders and pull it down? Abalakov threads?

In reply to davkeo:

Well done Tim! That was a great wee video as well.

> Really enjoy the commentary & even more so for the lack of hearing ‘yaaa buddy’ every 30 seconds.

Agree so much with you here Dave.

Post edited at 10:44
 Alex Riley 30 Oct 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

The answer is it depends. Ideally leaving nothing behind, but yeah a/v threads, bollards, spikes, tat etc...

mim tiller 31 Oct 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

we did about 25 or so v-thred abseils, then down climbed the last 700m of easy gully

olddirtydoggy 31 Oct 2022
In reply to mim tiller:

Awesome! Just bought a v threading tool for a Norway trip, it should work better than the coat hanger we took last time. Thanks for the insight.

MisterPiggy 02 Nov 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Great video and excellent write up - much enjoyed !!!

I'm sure the route will be popular: all the excitement and drama of 8000, with less death. Sounded like they had a real hoot !! 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...