UKC

ARTICLE: The Stray Dog who Climbed a 7000m Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The dog who climbed a 7000m peak. When American mountaineer and guide Don Wargowsky was asked to lead an international expedition of climbers on Mera Peak and Baruntse in November 2018, he knew he'd be leaving his beloved dog - and his fiancée, of course - behind at home. What he didn't expect, however, was that he'd be summiting Baruntse with a Nepalese canine companion by his side, in what is believed to be the first ascent of a 7,000m peak by a dog.

Read more
 Coel Hellier 01 May 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Nice (and unusual) article!

Being a bit picky: "Despite her enthusiasm, Wargowsky remained cynical about Meru's potential to follow the team higher."   Should be "sceptical" not "cynical".

leon 1 01 May 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier: If you want to be really picky it's Mera peak in the Khumbu whilst it's Meru peak in Gangotri. There's a use of both names in this article. Yes I'm a pedant.

simes303 01 May 2019

That's extraordinary.

Blake 01 May 2019

Best article on UKC for ages... really loved that!

In reply to Coel Hellier:

Thanks Coel, you're right

In reply to leon 1:

Mera it is. Well spotted, thanks

Paul Sagar 01 May 2019

"he knew he'd be leaving his beloved dog - and his fiancée, of course - behind at home."

He's marrying his dog?!

(Sorry Natalie, I genuinely think you're a really good writer - I just couldn't resist :P )

Martin W 01 May 2019

What a lovely article!  And a nice change to find an article about climbing/mountaineering that even my missus will definitely enjoy.

One small quibble: the words "'It broke my heart thinking of her lying in the he could do nothing but pray that she survive her exposed bivi" seem to have got a bit mashed-up in the journey between Don's blog and the UKC article.

In reply to Paul Sagar:

What can I say...I'd marry my dog!

Flinticus 02 May 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Strange down vote for that...some people!

I've now read this story three times on different sites, including his blog. Love it. 

JayPee630 02 May 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

A lovely lovely article! Thanks. And have to say (probably again!) your writing in just excellent in these articles, far and away the best and most enjoyable pieces I read on here and many other places, thanks again.

That is incredible, what a hound, best friend indeed.

Colin Wells 23 May 2019

Dogs can be very persistent following mountaineers, especially Nepali dogs. We had one follow us for days up to an 4600 m acclimatisation peak once from a lowland village near Dhaulagiri.

The most memorable encounter with a canine dogging our footsteps though was in winter in Tierra del Fuego when we were trying a new route up Cerro Bonete via a Scottish IV/V gully line. To our surprise a dog appeared and followed us for several miles across deep powder as we post-holed towards the mountain then amazingly followed us up the first 200-ft of Grade II/III-ish ground before the steep ice began. At this point the pooch began to look uncertain for the first time and clearly was reluctant to try to downclimb what it had somehow managed to scamper up with its built-in crampons.

At this point it dawned on us that we either had to abandon the climb and rope the poor mutt down – or ‘persuade’ it to retreat. As it was a very snowy gully lower down with a  big powder bowl at the bottom we reckoned – perhaps a little heartlessly – that if we gave it a good shove off the belay ledge (it had continued to studiously ignored our suggestions (in Spanish and English) and arm waving to go down) - it might instinctively ‘otter slide’ back down.

So, I am afraid to say, dog lovers, we gave it a hefty shove with a Size 9 Koflach (minus crampons – we did possess some canine compassion) and watched, slightly apprehensively, as the intrepid hound careered out of control back down 200-ft of gully. It came to standstill at the bottom, picked itself up, shook its shaggy coat and sat watching us for a bit before trotting off.

We never did get up the gully – perhaps we should have sent the dog on ahead instead.

jon 23 May 2019
In reply to Colin Wells:

At the end of the Valgrisenche, one of the valleys running southwards from the Aosta valley, is a hotel called Albergo Perret. The owners used to have a large and very friendly husky called Atos, who'd hang about outside the hotel. A group of ski tourers were booked into the hotel one night, and after an early start they skinned up the Ruitor 3486m. They were aware that Atos was following them but assumed he'd just go back of his own accord. But they were wrong and he followed them to the summit. It was there that things went tits up. They followed their plan and skiied down to... Ste Foy en Tarentaise, in France. Atos followed. They were more than a little concerned about this when they walked into the village but were also thirsty and so went straight into the Hotel Monal where they were booked in for the night. Atos followed. As they ordered their beers the hotel owner appeared and said:  'Oh no, not again...'

Frank R. 23 May 2019
In reply to Colin Wells:

> We never did get up the gully – perhaps we should have sent the dog on ahead instead.

Hah!

Some (quite lower in elevation, though!) stories in my older thread as well:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/high_altitude_mountaineering_do...

This stray (more probably a village dog) hopefuly came down ok from the Shkhara South (not the main summit) in the High Caucasus (plenty of dogs there follow people up the easier mountains):

youtube.com/watch?v=M_Eisu0OAeo&

(video not mine)

Phil Venn 04 Jul 2019

I love that dog. This story makes brings tears to my eyes. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...