UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Wideboyz Crack on in Canyonlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Jun 2019
Pete wrestles with the Black Mamba 5.14b. Earlier this year Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker (AKA the Wideboyz) travelled back to their favourite crack haunt of Canyonlands National Park in Utah, where they established another hard first ascent in the White Rim – Black Mamba 5.14b – which may be their hardest roof crack yet. This ascent came just days after they made the first repeats of Necronomicon 5.13d/5.14a.

A film about their trip has just been released, which features all the grit (OK, sandstone in this case), determination and hilarity that we've come to know of this pair's adventures. Are you prepared to try so hard that your underwear breaks?

Read more
 TheGeneralist 21 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Love it.  Absolutely great.  I've had a shit day in the office doing my IT stuff, and (have drunk too much wine) just love seeing that these two are still out there getting the most out of life, doing amazing things and being insiprational.   I find most climbing vids deeply tedious, but as soon as I see Wide Boyz (sp?) my eyes light up and I'll be entertained .

Go boys go.

GHawksworth 22 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

WC: "Hey everybody! Use the best new belay device in the world! It's fantastic!"

Pete: *uses Munter's hitch*

beardy mike 22 Jun 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

Cracks me up how you don’t really see any WC cams in this, but you do see a load of valley giants...

TheGeneralist 22 Jun 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Do WC make them big enough?   You'd wonder if it was worth them making some specially, given the sponsorship exposure they get.

(Sorry, I realise I'm just making the same point as you in a more long winded fashion)

beardy mike 22 Jun 2019
In reply to TheGeneralist:

They haven't as far as I know made the size 5&6 tech friend since 2013, maybe longer? Sure, those never went as big as the valley giants, but still...

Crofty 22 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Exhausted just watching! Great effort lads.

andi turner 23 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

So good. What a place to climb and explore. I can't imagine there'll be queues for Black Mamba..

Emilio Bachini 23 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Does anyone know if Pete and Tom have any thoughts about people repeating these desert roof cracks?

In an interview somewhere?

How long before someone follows suit? 

In reply to GHawksworth:

Easy answer - both of us forgot to bring a belay device out that day. Which is pretty typical! I blame it on Pete entirely and I'd never do anything like that... 

In reply to beardy mike:

The WC 5&6 are totally awesome (the big + being that they're very stable when pretty open) but they only cover you up to a size that's a touch bigger than hand-fist stacks. On this project it's 9+ inches and so you're either soloing or using the VGs. We did also have the options of the Merlin massive cams but I'd heard some stories about them being extremely fragile. 

GHawksworth 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Glad to hear even the pros forget kit from time to time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...