UKC

NEW ARTICLE: The World of Stevie Haston: The Education of a Mountaineer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 29 Apr 2010
[Stevie Haston, 2 kb]Who is Stevie Haston? You may know what he has done, and if you don’t he will tell you.

You can read about how he keeps climbing fit elsewhere. What we are after is what formed the heart and soul of this 50-something high-performing climber. What moulded him?

Where did he come from and what makes him tick?

Why did his thumb represent freedom? Where was his immortal soul trapped?

This is the first in a series of Stevie Haston articles and interviews over the next 12 months, only at UKClimbing.com.

Welcome to the world of Stevie Haston.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2665

Adam Long 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

That's great, really interesting. Look forward to more of these.
 Scarab9 29 Apr 2010

fantastic article. thank you
petejh 29 Apr 2010

Classic.
But first a message from our sponsors - 'Mountains - they're not for girls'.
 crabduck 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Excellent article, thought provoking and in places moving.
In reply to UKC Articles: Absolutely incredible. Best bit of literature about the man behind climbing I've ever read. Can't wait for more.
 Michael Gordon 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Beautiful.
 Lil_Pete 29 Apr 2010

Damn good read; look forward to the future articles..
 rlines 29 Apr 2010

I do this kind of stuff all the time; the bit where he implies how clever he is is the bit he makes one of his spelling mistakes!

'I passed my eleven plus examination and went to an elite grammar school where I found that the rich kids had been tutored through there entrance exam'

otherwise interesting read, good work
 George Ormerod 29 Apr 2010
In reply to rlines:

All these articles are a bit of a tease, why doesn't he knock out an autobiography? It'd be a lot more interesting that a lot of climber's biographies I'd bet.
 Ramon Marin 29 Apr 2010

Awesome reading, so inspiring. Gotta love him
 Conor1 29 Apr 2010

Much, much better than I expected.
 jazzyjackson 29 Apr 2010

good to see this series get started. Hats off ; )
 casa 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Great article.
Always looked forward to Stevie's article's in OTE. Very inspiring style about the man. And the 'never give a fook' attitude does get you proper motivated. Big up that man.
jackcarr 29 Apr 2010

Good article, interesting read. Someone should possibly have a quick proof read of the next one though, it's littered with grammar and spelling mistakes!

Mr Fuller 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: That's an exceptional article. The writing style is unusual, almost thought-stream, but it makes it far more interesting than normal prose. Oh, and the content is brilliant.
Removed User 29 Apr 2010

Stevie, really glad you decided to for it and give the benefit of your thoughts. Graet article, full of all that's good and elusive in life. Look forward to the rest.

S
 Diggler 29 Apr 2010

If this guy writes an autobiography I'm first in line to buy it. Quite moving.
 Juglan 29 Apr 2010
You should write a book
 Sheffield Sam 29 Apr 2010
I'll second that write a book Stevie, i'll put in a pre order now assuming it doesn't cost more than a tenner! Im sure you could write a very interesting read!
 Karl Bromelow 29 Apr 2010

A great read.
 Scarab 29 Apr 2010
steve

write a book!
 Misha 29 Apr 2010

Some good passages but ultimately a rather disjointed stream of consciousness.
 Dan Goodwin 30 Apr 2010

Great stuff am really glad you made a comeback or just re-entered the scene with the writing, I used to read your pieces in OTE some of which where as a kid 'having lats like a bat that's where its at wish I thought of that' was a phrase I remember. Then you stopped it, it was a great shame to me as I enjoyed your musings and writings and was inspired by them they where born from experience, proper experience.
Hopefully you wont be deterred by the people who want to criticise you on here as you are leagues ahead of them in both terms of writing and climbing and in my opinion you would make a great Guide but someone cocked up in that decision!!

All the best Dan

All the best Dan
 Yanis Nayu 30 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: I really liked the style and the content - different and refreshing. An interesting character.
 Null 30 Apr 2010
In reply to Misha:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Some good passages but ultimately a rather disjointed stream of consciousness.

Sorry, but technically it is not "stream of consciousness" - in fact it is more or less the opposite: extremely wide-ranging free narrative.

I would say the author definitely has writing talent, but could lighten up on the gas pedal a bit - he was spinning his wheels all through this article.

I look forward to reading the next ones. Compliments.
 Henry Iddon 30 Apr 2010

Yeah great read.
 PeteH 01 May 2010

What is climbing?

"For me it is the vehicle to explore the natural world where strength and skill overcome difficulties. You are not just flotsam in the social sea, you make real decisions that govern your life and death. It is a special place where you enjoy yourself like an animal, feel your pulse racing, experience the sweat of fear and anxiety, and the taste of well-earned success."

Well put.

Pete.
alan mellor 01 May 2010
stevie you have been blessed your words reached deep inside and made me ask where now ? but thats up to me and who gives a whats it about spelling etc
 orge 03 May 2010

Great start to this series of articles! Looking forward to reading more.

J
 munro 03 May 2010
In reply to alan mellor:
> stevie you have been blessed your words reached deep inside and made me ask where now ?

calm down...

actually, I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad read at all
brian cropper 10 May 2010
In reply to ramon marin martinez: why
 Brendan 11 May 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Excellent stuff. Bring on the autobiography!
If he keeps writing these articles there won't be much new material loeft for an Autobiography...
 Rob Oram 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Really nice article and I throughly enjoyed the writing style!
brian cropper 02 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: sorry WHO is s haston
 Tom_Harding 02 Jun 2010
In reply to brian a:

> sorry WHO is s haston

old bloke, climbs really hard.....
Derbyshire Ben 03 Jun 2010

Great stuff Stevie and UKC. thanks.
 mark mcgowan01 05 Jun 2010
In reply to Fultonius:
> If he keeps writing these articles there won't be much new material loeft for an Autobiography...

there will be plenty dude....

Impromptu 10 Jun 2010
Stevie, when you complete the narrative, will you please include the incident involving wearing a snorkel parker to escape glen robbins's 'kiss of death camera' in beris high street. Early days of the Heights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...