UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: They/Them - One Climber's Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Oct 2021

For Lor Sabourin, climbing is more than a sport; it's a way of exploring identity and building resilience in the face of adversity. They/Them follows Lor, a trans climber, into the sandstone canyons of northern Arizona, on a journey to piece together one of the hardest and most inspiring routes of their life. By embracing the strength in vulnerability, Lor has found the space to thrive and build a climbing community that others like themself can call home.

Content Warning: This film includes discussions of eating disorders, body dysphoria, self-harm, sexual assault, and suicide. While we have done our best to explore these topics conscientiously, remember that we are looking through the lens of a single person's experience. 

We welcome positive and constructive discussion. Hate speech, bullying or behaviours that are not in the spirit of a diverse and inclusive community will be deleted.

Read more

Kees 09 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC News:

That's a great film! And I hate the amount of hate Lor (and other lhbti people) have to endure in this world.

Sick line btw.

minimike 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Kees:

Agreed. A film that manages to be about being trans and climbing, and do both well!

chapeau to Lor and the production team!

full stottie 09 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC News:

That was very informative, sensitive and well put together. Makes me realise just how much climbing is almost a panacea for whatever issues we are facing in our lives (in my case old age!). Also some great bits of rock on show and some serious perseverance. Excellent Friday night video.

Dave

In reply to Kees:

What's lhbti?

B-team 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> What's lhbti?

The H is likely a typo for G: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex. 

Kees 10 Oct 2021
In reply to B-team:

Oh yes, that was the Dutch version. Gay is Homoseksueel in Dutch. 

B-team 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Kees:

Got it. Apologies for the unnecessary correction. 

In reply to B-team:

Ah right. And the first one is an 'L' not an 'i' 

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 11 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC News:

I learnt a lot from that, thank you. What a great film.

Ramon Marin 11 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great film, what a story and hard to believe they got such abuse from climbing community. Hopefully this raises awareness and makes a positive change. I certainly learn a lot and has made me more aware. On a side note, what crag is that where project is? Looks amazing! And can anyone advise in what set up they use for auto belaying? Looks like a mini traxion below but can't work out what above/ Thxs

C Witter 12 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC News:

A really interesting and insightful film - thanks for sharing the whole thing for free on UKC.

The tone of the film felt very genuine and it managed to traverse some difficult and upsetting topics with at once seriousness and a lightness of touch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...