UKC

NEWS: Tokyo Diaries Day 1: Arrival in Japan and Coverage Plans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Jul 2021

After five years of waiting, planning and preparing, UKC (well, I alone) have arrived in Japan to cover Sport Climbing's postponed Olympic debut. It's hot, humid and I have to quarantine for three days as a UK traveller, but simply getting here feels like a small miracle! 

Read more

Dominic Green 01 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Well done for making it there, no easy task even under normal, non-Covid circumstances. It's great that one climbing journalist is there (lucky you, what a scoop!). Looking forward to your updates!

BusyLizzie 02 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC News:

What an experience! Stay safe.

Durbs 02 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC News:

For anyone looking to watch the coverage, without paying Discovery+ £6,99 for a month, as it's unlikely the BBC will cover much (if any) of the quali's, and highlights only from the main events...

You can get a 3-day free trial if you sign up for a year (so can cancel after 3 days), or, if you're a Vodafone customer, you can get 6-months free - same deal, sign up for a year, first 6-months free.

In reply to Durbs:

The Discovery coverage is the same as Eurosport and there seem to be numerous ways of watching Eurosport however I don't think anything cheaper than £6.99. Worth checking though since Eurosport is bundled with a lot of TV packages.

Alan

john arran 02 Aug 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Just been checking the coverage in France and it seems to be scheduled for online coverage on franceTV: https://www.france.tv/sport/les-jeux-olympiques/2603489-escalade-qualificat...

Not sure whether it will be geoblocked outside France and need a vpn to view from the UK. That's relatively rare in France compared to the UK.

Worth a try tomorrow morning anyway.

https://twitter.com/discoveryplusUK/status/1416783502863912960?s=19

I believe their 4.99 offering will work, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Seems to be working for other live events right now

Post edited at 10:57
 icehockeyhair 03 Aug 2021
In reply to john arran:

Just tried this and getting a message that I can't play the stream from the UK.

Pottsy84 03 Aug 2021

Has Discovery+ got any more coverage than Eurosport? As there doesn’t seem to be any on any of the 7 Eurosport channels right now - ping pong seems to have preference 😡

Looks like the bouldering is on from 11:30 Eurosport 2.

TomD89 03 Aug 2021
In reply to john arran:

Can confirm this is geoblocked but VPN works around it easily enough. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

Si dH 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Pottsy84:

The whole thing is being streamed live online by Eurosport, even the bit in between events while there is no one on the wall...

Pottsy84 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Thanks, will get off the telly box and on the pooter then…

Doug 03 Aug 2021
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John

half watching it now & surprised that the commentary is in English & Japanese and not French.

Is the fairly awful music in the background actually being played in the gym ? Can't help the climbers concentrate.

Stuart Wildman 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Doug:

Can anyone recommend a free and safe VPN? Just for this, so don't need it for head bandwidth etc. Cheers (Yes I am too cheap to pay £4.99 😂)

Doug 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Stuart Wildman:

I live in France so don't need a VPN to access France.tv

Never used it but the latest version of Firefox claims to offer a built in (so free ?) VPN (at least the French version)

RFWilkie 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Doug:

Speed on the BBC red button now

stp 04 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great article and more interesting than the climbing, which I've now lost interest in since it seems we can't actually watch it anyway.

The fact you say people aren't even allowed to film inside the events says it all really. Greedy people trying to control everyone else, sad and pathetic. Starting to see why the games are so controversial.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...