UKC

INTERVIEW: Tommy Caldwell - The Push

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 Jan 2019
Tommy Caldwell interviewed at the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival 2018.On the 4th anniversary of the first ascent of The Dawn Wall by Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson, we are pleased to release this multimedia interview with Caldwell that took place during the 2018 Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival in Alberta, Canada.

Tommy Caldwell didn't enter this world smoothly. Born seven weeks premature in August 1978, a tenuous birth set the tone for a life that would come to be defined by enduring hardships and challenging expectations: a reclusive childhood; a traumatic hostage situation in Kyrgyzstan in 2000; the loss of an index finger in a DIY accident, a difficult divorce and a particularly stubborn 7 year-long climbing objective.

Read more
 Fiend 14 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good interview but the "multimedia" format is a resounding NO from me.

Callum Smith 14 Jan 2019

I think the mixed format style works well here as it is a long interview. 

Doug 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Fiend:

likewise, I started to read this in my lunch break on a PC with no sound only to realise that there were audio clips. Guess I'll have to come back to it later

lithos 14 Jan 2019

"That's what the Damn Wall represented in the beginning, really."  

is that a [sic] or a typo - good one ....

In reply to Fiend:

We'd be interested to hear your reasons for disliking the format. 

Doug: It's made clear at the start that it's a multimedia piece and other websites don't tend to have any sort of video warning. Perhaps work isn't the place to be browsing UKC

Michael Gordon 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> Perhaps work isn't the place to be browsing UKC

Even on one's lunch break?

removed user 16 Jan 2019

Great interview I thought, clearly thoroughly researched. Credit to the interviewer. 

Its funny how Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell say that they're introverted, yet talk about their feelings and close relationships in press interviews! Americans are just much more open, perhaps. 

ChrisClark1 16 Jan 2019
In reply to removed user:

I feel like introversion takes many forms, especially as those guys have had to deal with a lot of press.

I have to say though, watching Alex Honnold discuss his feelings feels like the most awkward and forced thing.

Spanish Jack 16 Jan 2019

Found the format a welcomed change. Seeing facial expressions and hearing, adds to it and does change how you take the information in.

timparkin 16 Jan 2019
In reply to removed user:

It's mistaken to conflate introverted with the inability to cope with the demands of public exposure or large groups etc. What it means is a preference for inward thinking and alone time. I think there's a meme that says "introverts lose energy around people and recharge on their own and extroverts work the other way around". I think this is most definitely a part of the equation

FactorXXX 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> We'd be interested to hear your reasons for disliking the format. 

>  Perhaps work isn't the place to be browsing UKC

That begs the question, what do you lot actually do at work if you can't browse UKC?

t.huntley 16 Jan 2019

I loved this interview - bravo!  The multi-media format mirrors beautifully the fully-fleshed out story and 360 degree perspective that is so captivating in THE DAWN WALL and THE PUSH.  Tommy is a fascinating character in our modern world - the combination of fortitude, authenticity, humility and joy is so rare these days - so any interview with him would probably be good.  

Forget superheroes.  Tommy Caldwell is the real deal.

#whatsyourdawnwall #thepush

removed user 16 Jan 2019
In reply to timparkin:

> It's mistaken to conflate introverted with the inability to cope with the demands of public exposure or large groups etc. What it means is a preference for inward thinking and alone time. I think there's a meme that says "introverts lose energy around people and recharge on their own and extroverts work the other way around". I think this is most definitely a part of the equation

I see. I should have said uncomfortable with media attention rather than introverted. The people I know who are like that would clam up when asked a question about a previous marriage or traumatic event. But TC answered eloquently. He's had a lot of practice perhaps but it's noteworthy. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...