UKC

ARTICLE: Trad Development Scotland 2018-21: North

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Following on from South of the Great Glen, North of the Great Glen is the second of this year's articles documenting some of the recent trad climbing development in Scotland. 

Read more

Mike-W-99 14 Dec 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

It’s not missing, Chris’s guide to Kintail is here along with a few other mini guides.

https://smcnewroutes.org.uk/mini-guides/

Colin Moody 14 Dec 2021

The photo of Ulva is actually Skye.

peter.herd 16 Dec 2021

Thanks Mike. Never thought to look there.Just found its on this site too: https://www.ochils.com/extras/forms-documents/climbing-mini-guides/craig-lu... . Chris had linked me at some stage so i'm really to blame for losing it. Someone will get a link added to the article and perhaps to the UKC page too. 

Thanks Colin. Your pics didn't have attached captions so I guessed Ulva rather than Bornesketaig. Looked too clean/veg free to be East Skye. Now I recall these routes are down by the water. 

Pete 

BelleVedere 17 Dec 2021

Nice round up - good work!

SamSimpson 17 Dec 2021

Hey pete nice write up. That month in Skye with the crew is one of my most fond memories. Cant wait to return and get more involved! Fate has shown me another way however I am sure I will return for many more stints up there in the future!

Andy Moles 20 Dec 2021

Nice to showcase the inspiring range of things being done at all grades, and nod to the quietly sung spirits of exploration.

Rumour has it Michael Barnard does not sleep. He waits.

gooberman-hill 21 Dec 2021

Sometime in the mid 80's (might have been summer 86) I tried some new routing in Glen Pean with Paget Pugh (who sadly died last year). 

I was half way up the first pitch of a corner system on a crag just past the watershed, when suddenly there was a noise like the world ended, and I promptly fell off in shock. The next thing my mouth is full of the taste of jet fuel.

A couple of Typhoons had just screamed along the Glen at the same height as me, flat out in top!

At that point we retreated to Skye...

Steve

gregor 22 Dec 2021
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Hi Steve, hope this doesn’t derail this thread and perhaps it’s worth a ‘times I was scared by a fast jet in the hills’ thread of it’s own, and I can’t believe I find it important enough to correct so sorry and I am no expert….but in 86 we would have been getting scared by Jaguars, Phantoms or very early Tornados 😉

Maybe I am out in the hills less than in the 80’s/90’s but sometimes I wonder if the RAF can’t afford to/don’t train their guys with much real flight time now, a ‘close pass’ in the Scottish hills seems a much rarer event 

Gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...