UKC

NEWS: Trango 08 - "The Free Dream"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 19 Sep 2008
As climbing becomes more commercial, the climbers grabbing headlines are often those with the most active PR agents.

...We receive dozens of press releases at UKClimbing.com, and sometimes we run them, sometimes we bin them. Hopefully we choose the ones that are actually relevant and interesting to our readers, but I know that when time is tight, a pre-prepared press release can save my bacon.

We received one yesterday and (possibly unfairly, but definitely with my tongue in cheek and with a cheeky grin), I couldn't help but comment on an expedition obviously very adept at PR...

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=09&year=2008#n45326
 Morgan Woods 19 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

some excellent PR for Jerry from the site:

"Jerry Gore - Leader, Big Wall climber, alpinist, cameraman, Type1 Diabetic, 46 years, British"
amf37 19 Sep 2008
A sort of serious question - not a troll anyway.
On the blog I just skimmed they are talking about climbing up to M5. At what point does this type of climbing stop being 'free'? What's the difference between pulling on a bit of gear wedged in crack, and pulling an axe with a the pick firmed torqued in said crack?
Normally, I wouldn't give a flying fig about such things - its alpinism, right? Anything goes. But with all the hyperbole about this being a 'free' ascent it makes me wonder.
 Paz 23 Sep 2008

Very amusing. Keep up the good work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...