UKC

NEW ARTICLE: TRIP REPORT: West Coast of Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 08 Oct 2013
The summit of “The Knife Blade” after the first ascent of That Sinking Feeling., 5 kb

During July this year the team of Jacob Cook, Tom Codrington, Ian Faulkner and Peter Hill set out on an adventurous expedition to the west coast of Greenland. The plan: spend six weeks attempting first ascents on the huge granite walls rising out of the sea. The trip was a success, Jacob Cook reports:

Our floating base and transport for the trip was provided by the 38’ yacht The Cosmic Dancer, with skipper Clive Woodman and partner Angela Lilienthal.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5840
 Michael Gordon 08 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Some stunning photos, especially that ice arch! Brilliant stuff.
 Michael Hjorth 08 Oct 2013
What a great trip and report! Congratulations with all those stunning routes!

What also amases me is that you have opened up some new climbing areas with apperantly solid/reasonably good rock outside of the more known climbing areas. I had great joy in trying to locate your Ivnarssuaq Wall. But it must on the Nussuaq Peninsular southeast of the settlement Ikerasak. With Uummannaq Island out in the horizon.

I have flown past Uummannak Mountain a few time in helicopter scutinizing the walls for lines. To read now that you found the rock solid gives me great hope for the future of climbing close Uummannaq, possibly the prettiest town in Greenland! It can be reached in one day by air from Copenhagen - so you don't nessesarily have to go by sailboat (even if it looks damn nice and Tilman-like...!).

I hope you have posted your report to Lindsay Griffin of Mountain Info! But I presume he reads UKC as well!

All the best, Michael.
 Robert Durran 08 Oct 2013

Looks fantastic!
As a matter of interest, some of the rock looks very layered and not really granite-like. is it in fact gneiss (or something else?).
 CurlyStevo 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
I know what you mean it does 'look' quite metamorphic.
 Michael Hjorth 08 Oct 2013
Allow me to step in: Gneiss!
Not much granite as such in Greenland, in fact only in South Greenland. But the gneiss still looks nice and enjoyable!
 Morgan P 08 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Good read, awesome trip guys!
In reply to UKC Articles: Great looking trip, pics and report.
 Misha 08 Oct 2013
Inspirational stuff - well done!
 dutybooty 09 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Brilliant. Can we get more articles like this please?

One of the best I've read on UKC, or anywhere for that matter.
 highrepute 09 Oct 2013
good write up, cheers boss
 SteveSBlake 09 Oct 2013

This sort of climbing is very, very, committing. Sounds like you mastered that commitment and got it done.

Great TR.

Steve
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 10 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Fantastic article. Some great photos. Congrats on the route, looks stunning.
 elsewhere 10 Oct 2013
Great stuff - a real adventure story!
 Colin Matheson 10 Oct 2013
Any decent maps showing where you were? We (St Andrews University Mountaineering Club)climbed on Uperninik in 1977 (71 degrees north), following on from an earler expedition a few years before.
 Colin Matheson 10 Oct 2013
Oops - spelling should be Upernivik
 Michael Hjorth 11 Oct 2013
Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation - so I made a map of Uummannaq Bay.

Unfortunately it cannot be shown here by html coding, but it's located:

http://bigwall.dk/billeder/Greenland/UummannaqBayMap.jpg

leeoftroy 11 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Well done guys, very impressive stuff. I hadn't realise until now just how good you guys are!
 tcn_2002 11 Oct 2013
Thanks all for comments!
Michael, thanks for the enthusiasm and v happy to share some more beta on ivnarssuaq. Unfortunately your map puts it in the wrong place; Ivnarssuaq is marked on the red saga maps and is much closer to ikerasak. You're right about it being on Nugssuaq peninsula though! We'll put together a map shortly.
 Dave 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Michael Hjorth:
> Allow me to step in: Gneiss!
> Not much granite as such in Greenland, in fact only in South Greenland. But the gneiss still looks nice and enjoyable!

I thought the Staunings Alps in E Greenland were granite ? They certainly look like it.

tcn_2002 12 Oct 2013
In reply to tcn_2002:

For those interested, there's now a map on the homepage of the website: http://oxfordgreenlandexpedition.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...