UKC

NEWS: Ueli Steck Completes 82 Summits Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Aug 2015
Ueli on Pointe Walker, 3 kbSwiss mountaineer Ueli Steck has completed his 82 Summits Challenge - in which he climbed all 82 peaks over 4,000m in the Alps in just 80 days, using only muscle power to travel between mountains. The challenge took Ueli and his climbing partners through Switzerland, Italy and France and included over 1,000km of cycling and 100,000m of altitude.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

"The Swiss Machine" ... and I thought the name was hyperbole. I may actually be literal. Is this guy a human? Does anyone know?
 goose299 12 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Unbelievable!
But what's he done on grit?
Post edited at 14:58
 Babika 12 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Fantastic achievement but my heart goes out to the family and friends of Martijn Seuren, his climbing partner who died during the attempt.

I guess a fall from a ridge could happen to anyone but I feel a faint unease at celebrating speed /endurance records when they are tinged with tragedy.
Post edited at 15:45
 mbewsher 12 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I agree. Ueli's obsession with speed may have indirectly lead to a friend's death - we can't all climb safely at Ueli's speed but accompanying friends and family are compelled to do so.

I use the term 'may' as I haven't read detail. If anybody can fill in the detail I would be interested.
 kwoods 12 Aug 2015
In reply to mbewsher:
Seems a bit tasteless to speculate to that degree as much as I agree with Babika. But if Ueli was compelled to carry on, then so be it in my opinion. These things shouldn't end because of the loss of someone; and I speak from personal experience.

I was curious Martin Moran and Simon Jenkins 75 in 52 days wasn't mentioned, I'd be interested to know how the two compare, though I don't know the Alps so well.
Post edited at 17:17
In reply to mbewsher:

A lot of my mates can climb/hike faster than me. Does that make them all responsible for any injuries/death that occur to me?
 jwi 12 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:
The sentence “[...]he climbed all 82 peaks over 4,000m in the Alps in just 80 days,[...]” should probably be changed to “[...]he climbed all 82 peaks over 4,000m in the Alps in just 62 days,[...]”

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/ueli-steck-schafft-alle-82-alpen-vierta...
Post edited at 20:11
 Axel Smeets 12 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing achievement.

But why has someone uploaded a picture of Frank Lampard on his Wikipedia page?
 jon 12 Aug 2015
In reply to kwoods:

> I was curious Martin Moran and Simon Jenkins 75 in 52 days wasn't mentioned, I'd be interested to know how the two compare, though I don't know the Alps so well.

Indeed. Also with bikes and no motorized transport, and If I remember correctly they had crap weather into the bargain.

Jon Bracey 12 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Firstly congrats to Ueli on completing his journey across all the 4000m summits of the Alps, especially given the difficult series of events with Michi getting injured and then the tragic lost of Martijn.
It would be great if this news piece was extended to include a bit more history including Matin Moran and Simon Jenkins' traverse, and also Diego Giovannini and Franco 'Franz' Nicolini. See the well reasurched piece below:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/all-the-alpine-4-000m-summits
tdebevec 13 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great achievement. For the record, I would just like to note that the feat of climbing 82 4000-m peaks in just above 100 days, by my late friend Miha Valič, was, opposed to Ulie's current project, done during wintertime (i.e. December - March).
 Matt_b 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:
Both physically and mentally, an incredible feat, even more so given the circumstances.

I read the Martin Moran book quite a few years ago, so this was the first thing that came to my mind, what I hadn't quite pieced together was that their trip was pre "official" list. Out of curiosity, on their timings, is there any rough indication of the time needed for the extra summits to get into the "official" list?

This and the recent Mirror Wall news piece seem to lack some context. In the case of the Mirror Wall story, someone posted a link to planetmountain with two previous routes on "the unclimbed face" (although I realise the debate is, were these on the "side of the face"?), surely worthy of note in a news report? Lindsay Griffin is always very good at putting the reported news story into context, listing the history leading up to the reported ascent. This makes it enjoyable to read and helps the reader understand the significance of the achievement.
 Garbh Coire 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Jon Bracey:

Agreed. This is terribly written, and researched. The Moran/ Jenkins traverse was of course, not viewed solely as an 'attempt' in anyone's eyes. There was clear justification for the 74 summits. It's not a straightforward business listing the 'tops' but the UIAA list is arbitrary, and has many inconsistencies.
 MG 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Garbh Coire:
Does anyone know how many of the 82 Moran/Jenkins actually did? Some, e.g Pico Luigi Amedeo, they definitely climber even if they are not on their list.
Post edited at 15:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...