UKC

NEWS: UK Bouldering Round-up - Spring & Summer 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Nov 2012
Ricky Bell climbing Spindle 8A, 3 kbDan Varian takes a look at what has been happening on the boulders of Britain in the last few months.

From Northern Ireland to Leicestershire, not a stone is left unturned.

Yes, we said Leicestershire...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67576

achmed_lw 07 Nov 2012
Does anyone know where I can get the picture of Ricky Bell climbing Spindle in high resolution?!! The shot is amazing! Thanks
 Dave Flanagan 07 Nov 2012
In reply to achmed_lw:

It's just a screen grab from a (great) video of the ascent which Ricky will put out there soon.
Simon Panton 07 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:

"What wasn't reported is Nodder's old Project Go Motion at Crafnant which Pete climbed and reckoned it to be 8Aish."

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=583

Thought I'd post that, just in case you missed it.

Been an exciting year over here for new developments. Some major stuff to come in the next couple of months too. And a brand new North Wales Bouldering guide due out in the spring.
In reply to UKC News: can't wait for the new north Wales guide!
 JFort 07 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:

How do I find out more about Glen Doll?
 Jackwd 07 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News: "If you're outraged feel free to spend a long time typing in the forum to let all that frustration out as it'll help the hits, and hits mean mo' money." hahaha
 robin mueller 07 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:

> Working 9-5...God knows where it starts and finishes as it doesn't appear to be written up anywhere.

Just added it to peak bouldering - didn't realise it hadn't been written up.
http://peakbouldering.info/problems/4004

Basically it's a low right sitstart to Paint it Black.
 chrisdavies 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon Panton: nicely done mr P....
 doylo 08 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:
I'm surprised Paper Birds was considered 'worthy' enough for the report as it climbs up the holds of two existing problems.
 duncan 08 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Another sad turn is yorkshiregrit.com becoming stagnant and slowly sliding into Digital Entropy's jaws. Yorkshiregrit was one of the first online databases for bouldering and easily one of the best, if you use it please consider donating to help with the hosting costs.

Following an appeal on UKB, yorkshiregrit.com is being supported by The BMC and The Depot climbing centre. Hurrah to both.
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 08 Nov 2012
In reply to duncan: This will keep it on the internet but it won't make it any less likely to stagnate. The problems were twofold, only one has been solved.
 Kris Devlin 08 Nov 2012
In reply to JFort:

Hi there, my mates and I who made the video have developed this area along with a couple of others in and around this Glen over the last few years. We are putting together a guide (slowly... real life seems to be getting in the way a bit), so should hopefully have some sort of rudimentary guide that we will log into the UKC logbooks/area over the coming weeks. Apologies for any delays.

Cheers,

Kris. (All credit for the video goes to Mike - first climber featured)
 Franco Cookson 08 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News: Can't wait for Lee's Moors guide. I don't think many people realise just how much new stuff has been put up. Lee's taken it from nowt to nearly as much as is in the entire eastern peak. It's bonkers.
 granticus 08 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News: Mikey Cleverdon... C-l-e-v-e-r-d-o-n. When he does get a (well deserved) mention in the climbing media, no-one can spell his name flippin' right. :op

benj_d 09 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Love the northumberland part, totally cracked me up haha.
 robin mueller 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> I don't think many people realise just how much new stuff has been put up. Lee's taken it from nowt to nearly as much as is in the entire eastern peak. It's bonkers.

I'm keen to check out the area some time, heard lots of good things.

On a purely pedantic point, I'd be very amazed if there really have been that many problems developed (though I wouldn't be so surprised if you meant boulders rather than problems). The peak itself has over 4000 problems, and the largest share is in the eastern area. Happy to be proved wrong though!

Greg Chapman 09 Nov 2012
In reply to duncan:

> Following an appeal on UKB, yorkshiregrit.com is being supported by The BMC and The Depot climbing centre. Hurrah to both.

Rock + Run (rockrun.com) are also supporting yorkshiregrit.com.
 phleppy 09 Nov 2012
In reply to robin mueller: You wont be proved wrong, the eastern peak has probably the most boulders & problems in england but there will be alot to go at with a fair few new venues of excellent quality sandstone which have never been climbed on in the past. Maybe as the north york moors is steeped in traditional climbing history & bouldering apart from the obvious venues like wainstones is a fairly new thing really, 4000 may be pushing it a bit but i doubt it will be far off. Clemmitt's is one of the venues & that is approaching nearly 150 problems on it's own.
In reply to granticus:
> (In reply to UKC News) Mikey Cleverdon...

Thanks that's corrected.
 JFort 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Kris Devlin:

Cheers Kris, I'll keep an eye out. Did some google-ing, is it in/near Glen Clova then? Have climbed some trad there before but not been back in a while.
 Franco Cookson 09 Nov 2012
In reply to robin mueller:

Hard to say really. There are several venues with hundreds of problems. There are around 40 venues in total, maybe more.

It'll be in the thousands- I reckon I've FAed about 200 and I've not really gone out of my way to find anything. I think it's hard to understand just how many small bits of rock there are here.
 Franco Cookson 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Franco Cookson:

I just counted the venues- There are 75! Not bad considering there were fewer than 10 three years ago.
 phleppy 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Franco Cookson: I think it's about 55 - 60 which will make the guide, it will be nice to see them all together for the first time...ever!
 Dave Warburton 10 Nov 2012
In reply to phleppy: F*cking stoked, need a bouldering bible to keep me sane now i'm a working man.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...