UKC

NEWS: UKClimbing.com selected for Tokyo 2020 Media Accreditation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Dec 2018
We are delighted to announce that UKClimbing's application for media accreditation for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, where Sport Climbing will make its Olympic debut, has been successful.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations!  Way back when this site started, did you ever imagine that you'd be doing this?

T.

Paul Sagar 20 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic news, well done guys! I was quite worried that the coverage of the climbing in 2020 would be quite poor, if done by outlets with no clue about the sport, but looks like that now won't be the case at all!

AlanLittle 20 Dec 2018
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Let's hope Angel from onbouldering & Udo Neumann got their press passes too.

In reply to AlanLittle:

They wouldn't be allowed to film anything though.

jungle 20 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Yay! Looking forward to the coverage. It's been great on the site so far anyway.

A Tokyo 2020 section in the News dropdown would be good

In reply to jungle:

That's already in the works, there will be a page that just shows Olympic news (or Sport Climbing News, Bouldering News, etc), a bit like you can filter skills posts by activity (https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/indoor/)

Andy Farnell 20 Dec 2018
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> Fantastic news, well done guys! I was quite worried that the coverage of the climbing in 2020 would be quite poor, if done by outlets with no clue about the sport, but looks like that now won't be the case at all!

Why, have UKB and 8a.nu got the coverage rights?

Andy F

snoop6060 20 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Who gets to go then? A full team jolly to Tokyo ain't gonna be cheap  . I can imagine Alan will getting extra special presents from the UKC team for chrimbo this year. 

Post edited at 16:32
In reply to snoop6060:

My money is on Natalie to master Japanese first

FactorXXX 20 Dec 2018
In reply to Rebecca Ting - UKC and Rockfax:

> My money is on Natalie to master Japanese first

The official Olympic language is French.
So, let Natalie learn Japanese, while you learn French and get to go off on the jolly of a lifetime...

In reply to FactorXXX:

> So, let Natalie learn Japanese, while you learn French and get to go off on the jolly of a lifetime...

Nice plan. Slight flaw in that Nat has a degree in French!

Alan

FactorXXX 20 Dec 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Nice plan. Slight flaw in that Nat has a degree in French!

In that case, have a nice time in Tokyo Natalie!

In reply to FactorXXX:

It’s okay - Nat’s already fluent in French. She’s a language legend!

My languages offered are Elvish runes/Anglo Saxon/Ancient Norse. Can’t wait for that trip... 

snoop6060 20 Dec 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Oh that's just cheating. Didn't she also compete for the British team as well? 

Perhaps we can suggest a competition format for the UKC staff? Top 3 get to go on a all expenses business jolly to one of most expensive cities on earth. 

My vote is a speed climbing showdown

Thomasstewart 20 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I would suggest a good starting point for meeting / interviewing team  is popping down to The Hub the GB Climbing Team Training Wall at Rock Over Climbing where the team are every month training away... You would get some great film footage and interview etc... they have been training every month since October 2017 when Rock Over built for the team their own dedicated training wall, with dedicated setting and have provided training sessions every month since for the team and squad

Sean_J 21 Dec 2018
In reply to Thomasstewart:

You forgot to mention how brilliant and amazing Rock Over is  :p

In reply to Sean_J:

Never heard of it

Rad 21 Dec 2018

Excellent news. Well deserved. Need any interns to carry your bags

Competition for the 20 male and 20 female qualification slots is going to be fierce.  No Jamaican bobsled teams here! There are going to be a lot of heart-broken, talented athletes who don't make the cut.

My money's on Janja to win gold on the female side. No idea for the men. 

When I spoke with Sean McColl a few months ago, I told him I hoped he'd be an announcer because I think he's the best athlete commentator. He said they're hoping to move away from a model where an athlete who doesn't make finals calls finals and to have have a paid athlete in that role. Hopefully that'll be the case and Sean will get the job. He's aces all the way around.

Climbing is growing up at long last.

Post edited at 01:34
 Thomasstewart 21 Dec 2018
In reply to Sean_J:

We just do our very best to support the GB Climbing Team as best we can. They are all in tomorrow for their Christmas Session, morning of dynamic and coordination bloc training and then afternoon working through World Cup standard blocs, followed by functional movement session and finally well earned dinner... 

In reply to UKC News:

See you in Tokyo Nat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...