UKC

SKILLS: Understanding Modern Bouldering: Part 1: An Introduction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Apr 2020
IFSC competitors using their limbs to change movement trajectories.

Climbing coach and movement expert Udo Neumann introduces his new UKC series on understanding and practising adaptable skills that you can apply to the dynamic and complex movements becoming popular in indoor bouldering, from IFSC World Cup finals to your local wall...

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

FAO WileyCoyote.

Wil Treasure 15 Apr 2020

I thought this was an interesting piece. I enjoy basic balance and coordination problems at the wall. The more dynamic 3D problems scare me though! I'm worried I'll injure myself, often through hesitation, and I don't have enough experience of them to have learned to predict the speed or force needed.

I guess really I'm too old school for some of these. I still view sport climbing as training for trad (despite doing and enjoying a lot of sport climbing), so indoors come even lower in the list. As such I'm interested in learning to feel in control and deadpoints are about as dynamic as it gets!

I'm fascinated by the complexity of movement on these problems though. I watched James Pearson doing Elder Statesman at Curbar a few years back. I couldn't see what he'd done, he moved so quickly. My friend had a sequence of photos showing the hand movements. I was amazed.

HansStuttgart 15 Apr 2020

Very good article, looking forward to the follow-up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...